HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2003: I HAVE A 2003 FORD WINDSTAR .

I HAVE A 2003 FORD WINDSTAR . WHILE DRIVING THE O/D STARTED FLASHING AND THEN THE CHYECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. THEN IT WENT OUT OF GEAR. I DROPPED IT INTO 2ND AND THYE TRANS ENGAGED AGAIN . I THEN SHIFFED BACK TO DRIVE AND IT WAS OK. BUT BOTH LIGHTS REMAINED ON. SOMEONE TOLD ME TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FOR A FEW MINUTES. I DID AND THE LIGHTS WENT OUT AND HAVE NOT COME ON SINCE. NOW I HEAR THAT DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY ERASED THE MALFUNCTION CODES. I HAD THE TRANSMISSON REBUILT AT 105,000. I HAD THE COMPUTER (pcm) REPLACED AT 112,000 MILES IT NOW HAS 115.000.I ALSO HAD THE OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR REPLACED AT 112,000. DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE THE TRANNY OR THE COMPUTER? DON XXXXXX

It could have been a transmission range sensor or solenoid fault but its hard to say without knowing what codes were stored. Make sure the fluid level is good and full and doesnt smell burnt and have it checked for codes anyways. Most auto parts stores will check it for free. See if any pending codes are stored for the trans and if the light comes on again have it scanned. If the Trans range sensor reads neutral instead of drive it will cause the trans to drop out of gear.