Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F150: Just installed a new starter on an F-150. Makes

Just installed a new starter...
Just installed a new starter on an F-150. Makes a squealing sound when starting. Could this be alignment issues. I put back the shims as found. The shims were washers. How do I align astarter?

Thanks

Brian
10/22/2012
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Was this the original starter that you removed?

No. The orignial starter was replaced about 6 years ago. The shop that replaced it had to adjust alignment a few times before it worked.

Thanks for the input Brian.

I think the problem is the brand starters being used. There are not and should not be any shims nor washers between the starter and mounting surface. I believe all the problems can be solved by just purchasing and using a Motorcraft brand starter and not an aftermarket one. Shimming a starter results in not contacting the flexplate fully which over time will lead to a worn out ring gear o n the flex plate and excessive stress on the starter bendix shaft.

So what you are saying that no alighnment should be needed when installing a starter. Should I try removing the washers between the starter and the mounting surface, and reinstall the starter?

That is correct Brian. Ford shows no washers nor do I recall ever seeing washers on any models when I remove the starters from Ford vehicles, which I have to do every day as a transmission tech where as the starter has to be removed always to get the transmission out.

You can try it without the washers but odds are this is a design flaw using the aftermarket starter, where it will only work semi correct with the washers in place.

Chris,

You may be correct that the after market start may not work. Unfortunately, I will not be able to purchase one tonight. I am going to try to get this one to work for now. What is the torque spec for the starter bolts?

Thanks

Brian

Both are torqued to 20 lb-ft, Brian.

Glad I could help.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician