Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

There's a loud noise when I start the engine in the morning.

The noise goes away as...
There's a loud noise when I start the engine in the morning. The noise goes away as the engine warms up. The steering wheel also vibrates until the engine warms up. The car drives rough. I've had a tune up, engine belts replaced, pvc valve & water pump, timing belt all within the last 6 mths.
10/21/2012
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
hello, I will try to help. One thing I would suggest trying, is removing the serpentine belt one day before you crank the engine. If you still here the noise then, with the serpentine belt removed, then the problem isn't anything that spins externally of the engine. (That means power steering pump, alternator, air conditioning compressor) If you notice the noise isn't there when removing the belt, you may just need a new belt, or you will want to check the pulleys and bearings of the accessories that the serpentine belt drives. If the vehicle just feels like it's shaking at idle and the steering wheel is shaking, a common problem for this is engine mounts. Your engine is mounted in rubber mounts to the frame, and overtime the rubber mounts get worn. One way to check the mounts, is put your foot on the brake with the engine in drive and reverse. give it some gas to stall test the engine, if you see the engine raise up or move more than an inch or so, I would suspect engine mounts as the problem.
Would you suggest that I get an engine diagnostic ?
Let me ask, Is the check engine light on now or off?

off

OK, then an engine diagnostic is most likely not needed. Most of the time an engine diagnostic refers to the electronics and driveability of the engine. I believe you have a component worn that is not related to engine electronics. I feel that it is an engine mount if you feel the steering wheel shaking. That means the engine could be sitting on the frame, or riding lower in the vehicle than it should. (engine sag). They rubber in the engine mounts act as shock absorbers basically. So you don't feel that harshness through the vehicle. If you will get the mounts repaired, I believe it will possibly take care of both of your problems.
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician