Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Explorer: I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD 4.0 SOHC, I

I have a 2000 Ford...
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD 4.0 SOHC, I had a TPS Sensor go out, I geuss the spring broke in it? I bought 2 of the cheaper TPS Sensors and the spring in both were no good, they kept malfunctioning and setting the check light off. So back to the auto parts store, I bought a Borg Warner TPS and it set the check light off to, Code : p1121, Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage. I read online that folks had the same problem and had to install a Ford OEM Sensor and it will quit. Well, I order one, same numbers and all as the original one , installed it the check light still comes on. I have never had a problem with this vehicle till now and all of a sudden with this TPS sensor going nuts the transmission has been acting up bad shifting and what not, yesterday it started slipping out of the blue!! Help!!
10/11/2012
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem is not likely the new sensors your replacing it could also be a issue with the MAF (mass air flow) sensor or the connection to it.

Here is what can set this code.

• Air leak between MAF sensor and throttle body
  • TP sensor not seated properly
  • Damaged TP sensor
  • Damaged MAF sensor

In order to know what is failing you need to run thru the enclosed pinpoint test.

CLICK HERE for test. Start testing at DH15

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be
    sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY
    FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a
    subscription service you still need to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR
    EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again.
    Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a
    negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can
    further help you. Thank you, Ron.
Hello, Ron here again.

I am so glad you decided to come to Just Answer. It has been a few days and I noticed your previous visit here where I responded has not been completed and closed out.

I hope I met all your expectations and asked all the right questions and provided all the right answers. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. If needed I can try to clear it up or explain it more in layman's terms if not fully understood.

If you were confused with the rating system, just reply and let me know. If you thought you had completed the rating, but after getting this message realized it did not go through, reply and let me know.

Thank you very Much, Ron

I finally got a chance to test some stuff on there Ron

I tested the TPS Sensor and it read .44 and stayed there no matter where you moved the throttle. This is the 3rd TPS I have put in this vehicle the last one being a Ford OEM sensor. The instructions ended pretty much after testing the TPS. So I moved on to the MAF Sensor.

I tested the B+ terminal to the Ground terminal as my Haynes Manual says and it gave me 12 volts. I plugged the sensor back in and tested the signal wire and the ground wire and it read 110-120 Mil-volts at idle, which I think is like 1.5 to 2 volts. But the book says to increase the rpms and note the increase in voltage, everytime we tried to give it gas with the probes on there it died? Take the probe off, you can give it gas without stalling? Also when you unhook the plug for the MAF sensor if seems to run better at idle, but if you touch the gas it stalls.

The problem has to be something going on with the TP the TP voltage should increase as you open the throttle.

Doesn't the MAFControl signal to the TPS Sensor?

No the PCM controls the reference voltsge to the TP sensor and the signel is sent back to the PCM.

So how do I test for that?

At the TPS, back probe the Gray/White wire at pin 2 to verify the voltage matches the scanner. If the voltage is different by more than about 0.3v, locate and repair the voltage drop between the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and TPS. If the voltage on the GY/WH wire at the TPS is high also, verify the Yellow/White wire at pin 2 has 5v and the Pink/Orange wire at pin 3 is a good ground at the TPS. If the Reference Voltage and ground are okay, suspect a faulty TPS.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, Ron here again.

Thank you very Much, Ron
Ron, ASE Certified Technician