Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford Ranger 4x2: how to replace front crankshaft seal

Customer Question

how to replace front crankshaft seal
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.

What year is the truck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1985 ford ranger,2.8 v6 eng.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
repair information to send to you is very limited due to the year

basically I can only explain the steps

you have to remove the fan shroud, then remove the engine belt. you can unbolt the fan to help make room if needed

Once you have these items off, you then will need to remove the harmonic balancer /pulley at front of crank. To do this? you need an impact gun to remove the bolt as its very tight. You ten need a puller to pull the balnacer off the front of crank. it may? wiggle off by hand but its 50/50 and may need the puller

Once you have the balancer off? the seal is set into the front of the timing cover right behind the balancer

Again there is a special tool to remove the seal but you may be able to use a couple long thin screwdrivers to pick the old seal out, then tap new seal back in

The tool makes this easier but can be done with screwdrivers to pop old seal out

The biggest problem you will have? getting the balancer off. That bolt is tight. really need a impact gun. using socket/ratchet just is not enough

the seal /tool looks like below in the front of the cover

graphic