Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford Edge SEL: I need to change my spark plugs on a 2008 ford

I need to change my spark plugs on a 2008 ford edge. 65K now and the fuel mileage is falling just a bit. Question: Can I do this myself and do you recommend oem plugs. Where can I find a manual or something to guide me through the process???
Paul
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you. I am working with your question now. Will return shortly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roger that... be glad too. Waiting for your answer. tks,
Ok, first ,, PCV is not necessary at 65 K . maybe around 120k + but not at this time

The engine does not have plug wires, has coil on plugs, The left side is fairly easy, the right side requires the upper intake to be removed

To do plugs can be up to 3-4 hour job. I have no way to know your tools or skills so,, I have included 2 files for you to follow/review

One is for the plugs and the other for upper intake. You will want an upper intake gasket as well.

OEM plugs are ok but Autolite as well as Champion are equally as good. If access to OEM? then use them. If not, I like Autolite plugs. The parts store will supply the correct ones for the engine

You can click HERE for the plug info

Youc an click HERE for the intake info

Both files are in .pdf
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not a mechanic but do most of my own repairs and LOF. Did chg plugs before but never in late model cars. Ford wanted 399.00 for this job and I can't see paying that price. So, I'm going to attempt the change out myself. As far as it see it, if i mark everything and take my time it should have a good outcome. Another dilemma is if the plug has seized in the port and won't move.
paul
Have not run into one yet with seized plug in this engine especially at 65k so should be ok. The rpeair info is all that is offered so hope its helps. Take your time and it should go ok, The shop rate is high due to upper intake being removed,. It looks worse than it really is

Please remember to Rate my answer so I may receive credit. I work hard to give the best answer possible. Click Reply if you have follow ups
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,,, project is now complete with no complications.
great. glad it went well. Look me up next time if any other questions. Thanks