Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

having some kind of problem with my AC - not cold enough.

Customer Question
2000 Explorer XLT with manual...
having some kind of problem with my AC - not cold enough. 2000 Explorer XLT with manual climate controls. Have been told by other JA pro that I need to get pressure data on high/low sides.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
7/3/2012
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 5 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

is the compressor cycling on and off fairly quickly?

Were the pressure needles steady or fluctuating quickly?

yes, seems like it was kicking on/off every few seconds.

needles were rising/dropping in sync with the compressor cycles, but always consistent range of readings on each gauge. ran the test for over twenty minutes.

Ok, the quick cycling combined with those readings indicate that the system is low on refrigerent. Unless you have a recovery machine to measure the amount of refrigerent, we wont know how many ounces it is low, so you only add an ounce or two at a time and then take readings.

High pressure is 2.2 to 2.5 times the ambient temperature. so if outside temp is 80 degrees, then high side should be 176 to 200psi.

The low side should be 25-36psi.

Those are the numbers to see when the refrigerent is at right capacity.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Eric-

this sounds like great news !

Thanks for the info.

Nick

Does this imply a total failure of the system? Or does the freon tend to just leak out after 12 years? I have only had this vehicle for three months - wasn't "cold" when I got it, but the price was right.

There may be a leak in the system, but with R134a systems, some loss of refrigerent is normal over time due to the molecule makeup of the R134a.

I would fill it and if it eventually quits cooling as well, then have it professionally checked for a leak. But after 12yrs, this may just be from natural loss of refrigerent

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
thanks Eric

Hey Eric

follow up to my AC problem.

bought a can of R134a and prior to adding ran another static test. H/L read just 10psi (??)

then turned on the engine and AC .... did not sound like the compressor was kickinng on at all and the air was anything but cold not even cool).

So I heard that if freon is too low the compressor doesn't kick in. As I began to add the freon the Low bounced back & forth btwn 25-65psi and the High only goes btwn 140-150psi.

outside temp is jsut about 90 F

does this mean I need to add yet another can?

HI,

It is probably still low, but not likely a full can. Add an ounce or two at a time and then check pressure readings. at 90 degrees, the high pressure should be 200-240psi and low between 26-35psi and both needles steady

thanks, will keep you posted

Nick

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager