Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer: need vacuum line diagrams i have

need vacuum line diagrams...
need vacuum line diagrams i have a major vacuum leak
7/1/2012
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hello and good evening. THere are no engine vacuum diagrams in my info system. What are you noticing that leads to a vacuum leak?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

no power i hear air suction and if i revit it will whistle for 1 second
Look at the hose that goes the PCV valve and valve cover breather area. The rubber tee, will suck itself closed and tear in the center. Do this, get a can of carburetor cleaner. Spray it around the intake and vacuum lines. When you hit the vacuum leak with the carb cleaner, the engine will change pitch and the way it runs. Make sure you focus on the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets too. Let me know what you find.

it sounds like it coming from left underneath

2500 rpms is max then it sounds like its flooding out smells very rich

and the noise get louder as engine rpms go up

Do you mean under the intake manifold on the driver's side or passenger side?
under left front fender

That is very possible. Under truck is the vacuum reservoir. It very well may be under the left front fender. Remove the inner fender or liner and see if it is there. It will be a round cannister. The vacuum lines connect to it. If the lines are broken or the tank is cracked, you will have a major leak. Also, look closely at the rubber vacuum tees that are located on the back of the intake and valve covers. They tend to dryout, crack, or collapse and cause a major vacuum leak. Here is a picture of the cannister.

graphicgraphic

so does this prob really sound like a vacuum leak causing rpm prob
Yes it does. If you really want to find it, get the carburetor cleaner. Spray it around the area you hear the noise as well as around the engine. The moment you hit the vacuum leak, you will hear the engine respond to it. That is where the vacuum leak will be. You will find it quickly with that procedure.
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

i sprayed carb cleaner all over the lines it didnt change

the sound is coming from passenger side not driver

its a high pitch whistle

im lost now

It is common to have internal vacuum leaks at the upper to lower intake manifold gasket. Also, since you have a whistle, see if the Idle Air Control motor is stuck open, which will simulate a vacuum leak and raise the idle way up. It is held on with 2 bolts. Remove them and block the passages and start the truck. See if the idle is still high or if it now low. Here is a picture, so you know what it looks like.

graphic

it idles 800rpm pretty steady
Is that with the valve off?

500rpm with out

put it back went down road and had power then lost it again

and where is the tranny fill tube

The trans fill tube should be way back on the passenger side of the engine compartment near the firewall. When you say lost power, what does it feel like and does the idle go back up like it is racing?
nope 25oo rpms then bogs out
Ok, we have to do a test. We must check fuel pressure. There is a test port on the fuel rail. See if you can rent a gauge. Tape it to the windshield and see what fuel pressure you start with and what it goes to when the truck bogs. We have to either confirm fuel delivery as a problem or exclude it.
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

it didnt bog this time i have 65psi

Ok, drive it until it does and see what it goes to.

cant drive it when cold its all fine but after heating up i loose rpms

and pressure stayed the same

I am beginning to think you may have a restricted catalytic convertor. You most likely have more than one. Try removing an upstream oxygen sensor from each side, one at a time. Drive it without the sensor in and see if it feels better. That will give the exhaust gases a way to get out. Let me know how it feels.
i have a tranny ?
I responded to your other question, is this a trans you need to install?
Ivan
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician