Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I am getting codes P2195 & P2197 on a 2003 Ford Escape. Do…

I am getting codes P2195...
I am getting codes P2195 & P2197 on a 2003 Ford Escape.
Do you think i just need to replace the upstream oxygen sensors? If so , i need a diagram showing the different banks locations.Could this also be caused by a vacuum leak and maf sensor?
6/30/2012
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Besides the uneven idle has is the power level when you accelerate?
Power level is fine.On the scanner, the fuel trim is not going to closed loop and remains in open loop.
In most cases the codes P2195 and P2197 are not set due to bad HO2S sensors but instead its eaither a engine vacuum leak or in some cases a failed MAF (mass air flow) sensor. Since you are hearing a hissing noise, you very likely have a vacuum leak. I would start with finding the source of the hissing and make sure if its a leak to repair it.
Also take a close look at the intake manifold as the 3.0 has known issues with the gasket leaking.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be
sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY
FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a
subscription service you still need to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR
EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again.
Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a
negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can
further help you.

Thank you Ron.
If the maf sensor is bad, would it not give a maf code?
Also, if there is a vacuum leak, would there not be a Po171 &Po174 code for both banks?
I still need a diagram for both upstream oxygen sensors. Are there (4)altogether.
A vacuum leak can se any of the mentioned codes . There are 4 HO2S sensor, 2 up stream and 2 down stream. Both Front sensor are just ahead of the cats in the pipes. The 2 rears are right behind the cats in the rear.

graphicgraphic
Does the fact that the vehicle stays in 'open loop' necessarily mean it's an oxygen sensor issue? Even after it's been driven a while.
Not really , that can also be cause by a vacuum leak.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician