A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

97 ford escort: fuel pump..Checked fuse, inertia switch

No power to 97 ford escort fuel pump. Checked fuse, inertia switch, and have replaced CCRM. What can it be

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

I know you stated you checked the Fuel Pump fuse under the hood, but have you checked for power at the fuel pump inertia switch on the BLACK/PINK striped wire?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, and there was no power there
Then check for power on the BLUE wire at the inertia switch and then both BLUE wires at the fuel pump connector. If you have power at both BLUE wires at the fuel pump, the fuel pump itself is bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no power on the blue wires at the fuel pump, so the pump could still be ok
Do you have power on the blue wire at the inertia switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Ok, if you have power on the BLACK/WHITE striped wire at the inertia switch but not on the BLUE wire at the same switch, then make sure the inertia switch is reset. If it is, disconnect the interia switch connector and jump the BLACK/WHITE striped wire and the blue wire with a paper clip or a spare piece of wire and see if the vehicle starts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess you did not understand my first answer. I have no power to the black or blue wire at the inertia switch

Sorry. I am in the middle of Tropical Storm Debby in Florida and my internet is dropping out at times.

Ok. No power on the black wire at the inertia switch.

Check for power on the fuel injector fuse in the engine fuse box. Make sure the power is good and you have power on the WHITE/GREEN striped wires at the CCRM connector.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is power at the fuel injector relay and the fuse is ok., and there is power at the white with the green striped wire at the CCRM.
Ok, check and see if you have power on the BLACK/PINK striped wire at the CCRM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a black/violet wire going to the CCRM? The wire that I found that looks like it is black/pink looks black violet. I checked it and had no power on it with the key switch on or off. How can I get a pin out schematic on the CCRM. That would help to know which pin you are asking me to check.

Below is the CCRM connector and wiring diagram.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This will help, do you know if the PCM power relay is controlled through the ignition switch?

The power for the PCM is sent from the ignition switch to the 3 relays on the diagram above through the CCRM then to the PCM.

You can disconnect the CCRM and check for power on the pins circled below with the key turned on.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do not have power at pin 13, with ignition turned on or off.
Check the Engine fuse in the dash fuse panel. Make sure it is good and have power on both sides.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That was it. replaced fuse and it cranked, but noticed battery light on on instrument gauge. With it running I disconnected battery and it died plus blew engine fuse. Altenator must be bad.

Get it running with the alternator connected. See what the voltage is at the battery. Should be 14 volts or better. If it is close to 12 volts, then it is the alternator.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It blows the engine fuse now whenever I replace the fuse and turn the ignition switch on. So now I can not get it to the point of cranking and running. I did check the battery voltage with out it running and it was at 12.5 volts
If you still have the old CCRM, if so reinstall it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Installed old CCRM and it still blew the fuse.
Is your Escort a manual or automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Automatic
Unplug the Transmission range sensor and see if there is still a short on the fuse. The range sensor is also on the ENGINE fuse circuit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is this sensor located?

On top of the transmission under the air cleaner hose near the brake booster.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unhooked it and it still blew the fuse.
If you have a meter. Set it to OHMS and leave the ignition key off. See if you have continuity to ground on either side of the ENGINE fuse.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1.3 on one side and 15.9 on the other side of the fuse holder and I unhooked the CCRM and it still blew a fuse when I turned the ignition on
Ok. Use the meter and set it to volts and leave the fuse out. Reconnect the CCRM. See if the side with the 15.9 is the same side that gets power with the key on. I need to see what direction of the circuit we need to go look for the short.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The power was on the 15.9 side.
Ok, that leads back to the ignition switch. Disconnect the battery and check the that side again for OHMS while turning the ignition switch to on. You do not want any power in the circuit. That is why I asked you to disconnect the battery. See if the reading goes higher.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I goes to 9.6 with the ignition on and 15.9 when off
Unplug the ignition switch and see if it goes away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is raining here now and the car is outside. I will try to unhook the ignition switch later and see if it goes away. I have a chiltons repair manual and I noticed that the altenantor is in this ignition circuit. This altenator has been replaced twice so I still think there is something going on with this altenantor. It has a lifetime warrenty so I may change it out to see if this corrects it. Thanks
Just keep me informed. I will be at work tomorrow if you still need help. I have been in the rain all day with Tropical Storm Debby here in Florida.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unplugged the ignitiion switch and it still blows the fuse

Ok, leave the CCRM unplugge and see if the fuse blows.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will try tomorrow and let you know. It is late
talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unplugged the ccrm and the ignition is unplugged and it reads 17.8 ohms
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Totally unplugged every wire from fuse box and would individually plug it back in, unhooking and rehooking battery up with a fuse in the fuse holder for the engine and I have found the plug that has the wire in it that blows the fuse and it has two blue wires with a gray mark on it, one checks clear but the other shows grounded. but do not have a ideal where it goes to.

Sorry I have been away. My wife has been in the hospital and I think of her first before anything else.

WHat fuse box did you unplug?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hope your wife is doing well.It was the fuse box under the dash. I have about figured out that the blue wire is the ground and is supposed to be going to ground. I went by my local ford dealer and they printed out some of the wiring diagrams for me. On the power distribution page 3 of 13 where it shows the plug c220 and this is the one that I have unplugged and the fuse is not blowing. I see that this plug feeds the TR sensor, the ccrm, the ignition coil and radio noise capacitor. We have unplugged the TR sensor and the ccrm. Tomorrow I was going to locate the ignition coil plug and unplug it, then locate the radio noise capacitor and then unplug it. Where would the radio noise capacitor be?

Below is a picture of the dash fuse box. The numbers with the "C" in front of them are the connectors. To make it easier for me to locate the wires you are describing, tell me what connector up unplugged that has the Blue wires that are shorted. It will make it easier for me to trace out the circuits in the diagrams.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the short. It was the radio noise capacitor, it was against a metal piece and rubbed so it was shorted.
Glad to see you located the short. Sorry I was off line from time to time and did not respond back quick. Family concerns, wife and all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for all your help. Hope your wife is doing good.