Shawn
Shawn, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing cars of all types for 20 years, and specialize in all aspects of mechanical repair.
16687991

ford Econoline: 1994 E150..heater..ac..cold air..normaly

I have a 1994 E150 ford Econoline Van. The heater will sometimes just stop sending heat and the AC will also sometimes just stop sending cold air. The temp of the air just changes and normaly does not go back to working until after I have stopped the engine and the Van has sat for a while. I would like to know what might be the cause or how I should troubleshoot this problem?

Shawn :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you...lets start by getting a little more info

Shawn :

how frequently does this happen?

Shawn :

If I am understanding correctly ..the blower is still operating but the temperature just changes almost to a neutral position (not hot and not cold)

Shawn :

there are a few possibilities that may be causing your problem..

Shawn :

1. the temperature control switch. that is in the control head that is what the temp lever controls

Shawn :

1

Shawn :

2. the blend door actuator...this is attached to the heater plenum underneath behind the center of you dash

Shawn :

or three an electrical problem to either of these componets....the problem with checking a wiring problem is the problem has to be occuring to find the problem or everything will test normal..this is also true for the other components which makes diagnosis very difficult.

Shawn :

because of the age of the vehicle I would think it is more a problem with the switch or the actuator than a wiring problem as these things tend to wear out over time

Shawn :

and because it seems to default to a certain temp I would be looking at the switch if it were the actuator I dont think it would just change your temp ..if it were the actuator it would just not move and stay at whatever setting it is at. So I seem to have talked myself into a conclution that it is most likely a bad switch.

Shawn :

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask