cenli
cenli, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford certified senior master technician
56811267

2010 Ford Escape: drives..rear hatch lower door will not open

Customer Question

My wife drives a 2010 Ford Escape. Had it over 1 year. The rear hatch lower door will not open when the button in the inset is pushed. You can hear it try to unlatch but the actuator is not moving far enough.
Ford dealer here has no clue as to what is needed to repair it. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  cenli replied 5 years ago.

cenli :

Hello and welcome to just answer, from what your describing it sounds like the rear hatch actuator may be @ fault. The actutor and latch are an assembly, the actuator being weak will not release the latch, recommend to pull interior trim panel on rear hatch to gain access to actuator, make sure available voltage and a good ground is present before replacement of door lock actuator.

Expert:  cenli replied 5 years ago.
Hi Customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Bob.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I need some insite into how to remove the inside door panel so I can get to the actuator.
Expert:  cenli replied 5 years ago.
Hello, with the rear hatch glass open, gently pry the panel starting from the top, you will see clip retainers on the back side of the panel, using a panel clip tool or equivalent remove all the clips by prying away from the door. This is not the procedure in a workshop manual but it gets the job done.Once the panel is off you can manually pull the linkage from the door lock actuator upwards to open the door, hope this helps.