Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 Mercury Tracer: I added a transmission coolant line..new radiator…

I have a 1997 Mercury...
I have a 1997 Mercury Tracer. I added a transmission coolant line, because the line was leaking and once I added the line and raise the motor to see did I have anymore leaks Transmission oil rushed out and transmission oil was also in the radiator. What happen, and do you think I need a new radiator. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/14/2012
Ford Mechanic: Chuck, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician

Chuck :

Yes it appears that the cooler inside the radiator has rutured and yes you will need to replace the radiator.

Chuck :

You will need to flush the transmission also. The glue that bonds the fiber clutches to the metal plates on the clutches is water soluable so if it mixes inside the tranny it will cause the clutches to come apart.

Customer:

Flush the transmission? Is that like changing the oil, but instead its changing the transmission oil. Can I have future transmission problems after this occuring. To make sure when I get the new radiator that it want happen again. What do you think caused this to happen, do you think the lines was placed on properly or could it be just because I added a new line or what. Thanks ...

Customer:

Hello

Chuck :

replacing the line would not have caused it.

Chuck :

usually corriosion or excessive heat

Chuck :

Flushing the tranny is the best way,you will need to take it to a shop that has a flush machine.what this does is hooks in between one of the cooler lines and then runs about 16 quarts of clean fluid thru the tranny until the fluid is totally clean

Customer:

So will this affect my transmission?

Chuck :

if you got alot of coolant in the tranny then it can cause the clutches to come unbonded from the plates

Customer:

I told the mechanic that the transmission needs to be flushed, is that changing the transmission oil and screen?

Chuck :

no flushing is a machine that holds 15 to 16 quarts of fluid and you will hook it in between the inlet cooler line from the cooler to the tranny

Chuck :

you will only get about 4 quarts of fluid out of the transmission by removing the pan

Chuck :

the tranny holds around 9 to 10 quarts

Customer:

Oh my God, they do not have anything like that..Lol We live in Green Acres....Lol Is there another way to do this.

Chuck :

unless you have a drain plug in the torque converter

Chuck :

some of these models did and some did not

Customer:

He told me that it did not affect the transmission oil, just the radiator. Is that common.

Chuck :

yes it could have just mixed the tranny fluid into the radiator and not into the tranny.

Chuck :

but you need to know for sure

Chuck :

the fluid will look milky if it did

Customer:

Yes I do... You mean the transmission oil will look milky.

Chuck :

yes

Chuck :

if coolant gets into the tranny then that can be bad news

Customer:

Darn, Wish me luck...Thank you for your paitence as well as your knowledge. Wait one more question before I leave... If I pull the dip stick out to check the transmission oil will it show something on the stick. (milky)

Chuck :

Yes it will show on the dipstick.

Customer:

Thanks so much....

Customer:

Good Night...

Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician