Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2001 ford excursion: keep alive fuse that was blown...similar problem

You helped me solve a problem back in December on my 2001 ford excursion. It was the keep alive fuse that was blown. Now I have a similar problem. Not sure if they are related to the last issue or not . I have lost power to the following: gauges, interior lights, windows, and radio. The truck will start and run. All of my windows were down when this occurred. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me in this matter.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris

When you say gauges does this mean nothing i n the instrument cluster is working at all, no gauges and no warning lights?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only lights are the battery, abs, and looks like an air bag light.

You need to remove the fuse panel and the GEM module mounted to the back of it from the area in front of your left knee. Once out, take them apart and look for signs of rust and electrical arcing. Meaning the windshield is leaking and needs to be replaced. It has also caused both the GEM module and CJB (central junction box=fuse panel) to fail also needing replacement. You will also want to look around these 2 components for signs of rust indicating a leak. If you find this to be an issue then thats your problem. if there okay then you need to. Use this FORD DOWNLOAD to work the simplest circuit the windows. All of these failures are connected the battery saver and accessory delay relays in the fuse box, and we need to see if there not turning on. use the below wire diagrams as well if needed.

Thanks for pressing accept, Chris

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the fuse panel loose which has a group of plugs in the back of it. Not sure what the GEM looks like. There is a module beside the parking brake which extends through the firewall.
The GEM is on the back of the CJB and those 2 large connectors are held on with a 10mm bolt are connected to the GEM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just realized I entered the wrong year it is a 2002 model. Not sure if this makes a difference. I just looked again at the back of the fuse panel and there is nothing bolted to it. All snap in plugs. The only thing bolted to it is what looks like a big ground wire.

The year difference does make a difference since there is no GEM on a 02 model and there is not a water leaking issue on a 02 model.

You need to use the below wire diagram and see if the battery saver relay inside the instrument cluster is powering the accessory delay relay and if its not then we need to get the cluster out and check all the power and ground inputs it has.

Download here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still working on you last answer. I will get back with you soon.
Thanks for the update Tony. Let me know any results or drop me any details if that helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just checked the relay socket and I have power to terminals 86 & 87 but not 85 which comes from the battery saver relay. I used a jumper wire between 87 and 30 to bypass the relay and was able to get my windows up finally. With the jumper wire in the gauges still did not function. Everything else would work.
Good that means the concern with the windows is the accessory delay relay not getting powered up from a faulty battery saver relay inside the instrument cluster or a faulty power or ground supply to the instrument cluster, so thats the next thing to check, if you need help with any of that, let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry so long getting back. Have not had much time to work on this thing. I just removed the instrument cluster. I just need to know which wires to test. Thanks for your patients.

Use these FORD DIAGRAMS to see all the power and ground wires to check.
I am so glad you decided to come to Just Answer. I noticed your previous visit here where I responded has not been completed and closed out. I hope I met all your expectations and asked all the right questions and provided all the right answers. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with on a new concern, and or follow up with you on your original concern to clear it up or explain it more in layman's terms if not fully understood.

Chris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Finally getting back with you. I used the wiring diagrams you provided and seems that all the grounds and power supplies to the cluster are good. Does this mean the cluster needs replacing? Thanks for all your help.
Unfortunatly yes it has come down to, needing a replacement instrument cluster.

Chris