Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just purchased a wrecked 2007 shelby gt mustang and im…

Customer Question
Okay so I just purchased...
Okay so I just purchased a wrecked 2007 shelby gt mustang and im having issues getting it started. The car did not take a bad hit during th crash, it just messed up the bumper and fender. Whats happening is I can try to start the car, the starter relay in the sjb clicks, power makes it to the starter relay in the fuse box under the hood and clicks but starter does not engage. I can corss it over and crank to it is recieving power but no signal. Also the fuel pump is not priming in the key on position. The relay for the fuel pump is clicking as well and all fuses in the sjb and fuse panel check out. the car is showing a check engine light but I have not been able to communicate with it. The obdII scanner is showing no link, I myself am not sure if the obdII will support this current of a car though. This is really throwing me for a loop. Ive traced every harness I can see relevent per schematic and cant find any problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
5/3/2012
Ford Mechanic: JContin, ford shop owner replied 5 years ago
JContin
JContin, ford shop owner

Hi and welcome to J.A. I will try and answer your question the best I can..

Did you take a look at the fuel shut off switch or inertia fuel off switch ?

I did, the inertia switch has not been tripped
Ok, do you have the antitheft lamp correctly operating. When you turn the key to the on position the light should light up for about 3 seconds and then turn off..
yea the pats indicator flashes 3 times in 2-3 second intervals and stays off afterwrads
It shouldn't flash it just go on solid for no more that 3 seconds and the turn off..
what scanner do you have ?
ITs a mac tools, just a reader. As far as the pats light it blinks in the key off position, sorry for not making that clear. Once key is in on position it does just light up ith rest of instrument panel and then goes off.
if the pats light doesn't blink then if you just turn the switch on and crank the the engine by applying 12 volts to the starter then the car should start and stay running. But my first recommendation is to get a CAN capable reader to try and get communication with the computer first. You could send me the model of your scanner so we can tell if its CAN compatible, this is the communications system for newer cars like this.

Okay I will get you the model tomorrow but the real issue I am seeing here is the fact that the starter is not getting signal yet at the same time the fuel pump is not. I just do not see where the two are related?

ok let me look at the system and I will get back to you in a couple of minutes

okay thanks, ***** ***** time

ok do you have a test light or a tester handy ?

Yea I have a fluke meter But im currently away from the car If i need to test anything. Whats the test just incase I may have tried it already?

ok, when the fuel pump relay is turned on, the 12 volt feed to the injectors is also put out by this relay so we need to check if the 12 volt feed is there when you turn the switch to the on position.

Okay, well I have checked the input to the fuel pump relay and have swapped known working relays in as well. As far as I can tell I am losing the feed after the relay somewhere.

Ok if we could try and disconnect a fuel injector connector and measure for the 12 volt feed then we can go from there. If you are going to be with the car tomorrow then drop me a message and we can go from there.
Oh and I forgot to mention something thats also puzzling me here, in the fuse box I am missing a relay it looks like. Its #23 the pcm power #1 relay and for some reason though there is no contacts for a relay. Every diagram I have looked at has included this relay, the v6 cars, auto, standard, all of them and I cant figure why this car hasnt got it. I even took the box apart to see if the contacts had fell but there are no wires there for it. Just a little more info for you, may be nothing
Okay I just got ur message. I will let you know around 5 or 6 tomorrow about the injectors, thanks
Ok I must be the last to communicate between us to be able to continue this afternoon, thanks.
Just making sure u r online real quick. I will be checking the injector power in a few moments and telling u the results. Just making sure u are on here while I am with the car because it is not in my garage
I'm online
okay just checked and no voltage to injectors with key in th on position or in the cranking position thanks
woah woah take that back, meter was on a/c and i didnt realize it to just now, i am seeing the 12v at the injector (12.21) to b exact sorry about that
Relist: Answer came too late.
sorry for the inconvenience I was driving to the office when you emailed me.

no problem im just with the car and wont have much time with it

whats ur thoughts?

Ok so the same relay that send the voltage to the injectors is the same that should send the 12 volts to the fuel pump system so we have to check at the next possible place the voltage to the fuel pump itself

okay if u dont mind me asking what would be the quickest access to check voltage to the pump?

Do you think that you could access the connector on the bottom of the fuel cutoff switch. If you could the we could test the dark green and yellow wire for 12 volts.
well I went ahead and pulled the back seat once i figured out its like the 99-04s and i have my voltage on the green and yellow wire at the pump... looks like im needing a fuel pump and also looking like theres two problems as well now instead of one

Where are you measuring the voltage ?

You should go to the spare tire storage area and look for this module:graphic

According to the ford manual the color of the wiring at the connector for the fuel pump are a black wire and a pink/black wire.
Here is the starting wiring diagram for the car so we can inspect the system.graphic

I measure off the connector going into the pump and got 12 volts on the pink/black wire and the light green wire, nothing on the green/yellow striped wire

The voltage should be measured between the pink/black and the black wires.. Put the positive lead on the pink/black and the negative lead on the black wire and test for voltage. Back probe the connector so you have got load in the circuit. Let me know

Done as u say and i do have the voltage on the pink/black wire

Just making sure that you measure between two wires. So we have a bad pump I guess... Take the pump module out and you can test the pump with straight battery voltage to it while it seats in a bucket of water or something. That is the best way. Are you going to do that now or do you want to check the starting problem now ?
well Im actually home now so If u have any ideas on the starting problem I would love to know. I listed in the original question that I have power at the starter and have power all the way through the relay in sjb, transmission range sensor (im assuming because I have power at the relay in the fuse panel under hood), and Per the schematic as far as i can see, I only have the PATS and the PCM in between the relay and starter, im not sure that is correct but thats where I am, Take it from there
Did you look at the diagram I sent you ? Could you pull it up now?
I would go straight to the starter and measure the voltage at the red and yellow/light blue wires while somebody is cranking the car. This way we can go directly to the source of the problem..

Sounds good man, I will check tomorrow, thank you so much for your patience with me on this, I work for a caterpillar dealership though and have no set hours so I have very little time to actually try to troubleshoot this thing. Im sure you will get to the root of it though and several people including me has not been able to so whenever it shows itself you will have a good bonus in store for ur troubles, Thanks again

ok so let me know tomorrow, I own a big shop and work basically at night and during my lunch breaks,

Hey, I just checked the starter wires u requested me to and found that I do have battery voltage on the red battery cable but Have no power while cranking on the yellow/blue wire

ok that means that the relay is not being energized..

Are you handy with a tester ? I would like for you to measure the pins for the starter relay so we can establish what we are missing here to activate the starter..

We must be completely sure that we have the computer online, sometime it can be tricky and we might think its online and it isn't...When turn the switch to the on position you should get the antitheft light solid for 2 seconds then off, plus a check engine light on......Now I don't like the fact that we don't have communications with the pcm with your code reader. Anyway we should troubleshoot the starting system, so get a tester and let me know.

Okay so I have got power that is pulsing on and off on the 86 contact which is the transmission digital range sensor and nothing on the start enable contact 85 from the pcm

Ok I got my doubts on the pcm being online, could you please measure the 5 volts at lets say the fuel rail pressure sensor ? The volt meter should be measuring between the brown/white and gray/red lines of the connector and should be 5 volts..Let me know.

5.02 volts between brown/white and red gray

So I guess computer is on, one more test to see if computer is ok and then we are going to check for a possible broken wire. Please check the following fuses for me for power, with the switch in the off and on positions please..

42,40,47,39..they are in the right front engine compartment fuse box..

Have battery voltage at 10.76v on all fuses in the key on position and no power at any in the off position although i did not see a 39 fuse in mine. I saw and 49 though and it was reading battery voltage with the key on or off either one
The car is stick or automatic ?

Also what side was the car wrecked on please..

auto and was hit on drivers sidef ront

on my way home;

I'll be back online in 15 minutes, meanwhile I want to see if the computer is receiving the starting request from the ignition switch..We will have to check at the pcm connector for the 12 volts requesting the computer to energize the starter..On the diagram I sent you we need to check for the white/pink start request that comes from inside the fuse box and goes straight to pin 7 of connector 175 B in the computer..

On the top connector of the computer we need to find pin 7 and confirm the color white/pink try and do that first.

You know what first of all your car should have a fuse in the 39 position, it should power your Over Drive cancel switch and also all the transmission solenoids, can you tell if the fuse box has the pins ?

sorry Im home now, I checked the pin u specified and to make sure it was correct, i checked for the #7 pin on the top connector of the pcm to find it was a unused hole in the connector

I will try to send you a picture of the connector along with colors and position of the wires so we can make sure we are looking at the right connector, it looks like maybe someone replaced the harness for this car and put a stick car harness in .... Could that be possible ?
Okay thanks and Im not sure but I wouldnt imagine as far as the manual tranny goes, it all looks very factory to me
Here is the connector 175 B pin out for your car:graphicgraphic

Hey I hope Ur on here, I tested the wire u mentioned yesterday. It was actually on the second connector down upon further inspection, i looked every wire offer and matched them up to make sure, There is infact battery voltage on the white/pink wire whenever the key is in the cranking position, hope we are getting close to the problem

Ok so we actually need to scan the car....because for now all looks well. Any CAN system able reader will diagnose this car.

so Im still not seeing why it will not start because isnt that everything it needs to start?

scanner still will not read, it is a actron model cp9180 and is just saying error communicating

I found some news, the scanner you have should communictae with your car, it is CAN compatible, so there is something wrong there. Do you have a power train wiring diagram so we can check all power and ground to the computer.
i can get one yea
ok so this would be the first step, do you want me to send you these now ? I have got a meeting in about 20 minutes and its going to take a few hours but since you're handy then you can go ahead and do the voltage and ground checks..
yea please snd them if u dont mind thanks
Ok I will have to get back to you later
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Ron, ASE Certified Technician