Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Focus SE: On my 2007 Ford Focus, the shift lever was a…

Customer Question
On my 2007 Ford Focus...
On my 2007 Ford Focus, the shift lever was a bit loose (screw on the vertical shaft fell out). When putting it into park, I pulled up on the shift lever. The whole shift lever came off. The main problem: A wire inside the shift lever popped out as well. The wire is still connected inside the upper part of the shift lever. But it is disconnected on the lower side. This wire has a connection on its loose end similar to a phone jack. I could just pop it in, but it can't see down the narrow pipe that it has to go into.

My questions:
1. I assume this wire provides a signal to the car. What kind of signal? With the wire disconnected, it seems to be preventing me from taking the shift lever out of the Park position.
2. Is it possble to drive the car to the mechanic shop without connecting this wire?
3. Is it easy to open up the housing below the shift lever, and if I get in there, can I easily fix this problem?
4. What is the process for reconnecting this loose wire and what tools would I need? If this is easy, let me know. If this is complicated, then just tell me to go to a mechanic.
5. The car is in park. Is it not possible to tow the vehicle if it is in park?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
4/15/2012
Ford Mechanic: Rmldaytona, Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm Robert and will give my best efforts in answering your question.

1. This wire is for the Over Drive function. This button on the shifter if pushed, disengages Overdrive. It has nothing to do with the actual function of shifting. If the vehicle will not come out of park, the problem is likely in the shifter assembly, the shift interlock system, or the shifter knob is not properly/fully installed.

graphic

2. It is possible and perfectly fine to drive the vehicle to a shop. No further damage will occur from this connector being unplugged.

3. It is simple to remove the cover for the shifter. It simply clips on and has one light attached to it. Using a suitable tool such as a flat head screwdriver, gently pry on the front then the rear of the shifter top cover. The clips will unclip allowing you to lift up the cover.

graphic

4. Attaching the wire should be quite simple if it simply unplugged. If the wire was pulled from the connector, the process will be a little more complicated as wiring repair will be needed.

5. Yes, the vehicle can be towed on the back wheels if stuck in park. Additionally, the tow truck driver has ways to disconnect the transmission cable and manually move the lever on the transmission to put the transmission into a desired gear.

Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician