Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

where is the flasher located on a 2002 ford taurus?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome! I'm DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access back to this thread, bookmark it now!

The flasher is located in the Central Junction Fuse Block which is located below and to the left of the steering wheel by the brake pedal. Remove the panel cover to access the fuses.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was my understanding that the flasher should only be a three prong. The part that I pulled from that location looks like a standard relay. Would a standard relay fit in that position?

I just purchased this car and don't know if the turn signals/flasher worked before purchase.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
No. This is not the "standard" flasher unit. It's designed a little different. If the part you have has a 3-prong "standard" look to it... you have the wrong part.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I haven't bought the part yet. I wanted to pull the old one first and do a one-one exchange.

Both NAPA and Advanced Auto show the flasher as a 3-prong. Sounds like I need to go to a dealer to get the right part?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, more than likely this will be a Dealer item. It's more of a "module" than a "flasher unit". I'm surprised NAPA didn't have it, but no way AutoZone would have it. The OEM Ford Part# XXXXX: YF1Z13350AA - most local parts stores can "cross-over" the OEM part number to the appropriate aftermarket number. Maybe give NAPA another shot using the OEM# XXXXX a starting point. Maybe they can order it and still beat the Dealer price.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Last question. Right now I don't have turn signals or emergency flasher (interior or exterior). Brake light and back up light are working fine. If the flasher doesn't solve the problem what should I look at next? I already checked the fuses.

Thanks

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Well, this flasher module actually does both directions and flashers, so more than likely this IS the problem. If not, you could be looking at a wiring problem going to the fuse block. Could be a problem in the steering coulmn wiring. I think you're on the right path with the flaser.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the help.....

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Glad I could help! Have a great day!