Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F250 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4: 04 Ford F250 6.0 liter diesel

Customer Question
04 Ford F250 6.0 liter...
04 Ford F250 6.0 liter diesel shuts off while driving down the road then immediately restarts. This seems to be an intermittent problem. Will run for awhile and not shut down. Will shut down a half a dozen times in the first 10 minutes of use or will run for miles and then shut down once.

Have replaced the fuel injector control assembly and two injectors previously on your advise because of rough starts and warm ups.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
3/12/2012
Ford Mechanic: John Crouch, Ford Mechanic replied 5 years ago
John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for requesting me to assist you with your concern.

The fact that it starts right up once you pull off the road tells me one of two things. Most likely this is a issue with the main harness for the engine. 2003 and early 2004 engines had issues where the harness would chafe and ground out on the engine itself and would stall the engine. Usually when this happens you will see all the lights in the dash (fuel in water and glow plug wait light) will come on when this happens as well. Most likely the harness is shorting out somewhere it runs along the intake and valve cover under the area of the ficm module. I have found the best way to try to pinpoint the place it does this is to let the truck run and take a long pry bar and wiggle and move the wiring harness until it stalls. once you get this to happen inspect that part of the harness and you will find a damaged area.

Let me know what you find, I will assist you further if necessary.

John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
I don't even have to pull off the road, it restarts almost immediately and the fuel seperator light does come on along with the glow plug light???
John Crouch
John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic