Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 FORD f150: od 40 TO 60 mph, I HAVE TO PUSH GAS PEDAL HALF WAY

Customer Question
2002 FORD F150 4.6V8...
2002 FORD F150 4.6V8 . HAVING SLIGHT SHUTTER OFF @ ON . WHEN IN OD 40 TO 60 MPH, I HAVE TO PUSH GAS PEDAL HALF WAY TO FLOOR TO MAKE DOWNSHIFT. NO ENGINE LIGHT ON. THIS HAS STARTED AFTER I FLUSHED RADIATOR, REPLACED THERMASTAT, [email protected] @ SPRINGS, [email protected] FILTER. HAS CONTINUED AFTER TRANS/SERVICE,THROTTLE BODY CLEANING ,MAF CLEANING, INJECTORS @FUEL RAIL CLEANED.HAD TRANSMISSION GUY DRIVE TODAY AND TELL ME ALL SEEMED OK . I KNOW MY TRUCK , SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT. WHAT IS MY NEXT STEP?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2012
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

When this occurs does it seem like the engine has the hiccups?

Does it feel like a 1-3 second fast vibration?

Does it seem worse in OD when going up medium grade hills around 45 mph kind of bogging it down enough to need to downshift?

no engine hiccups.no vibration. the shutter is not real bad .it comes and goes in all speeds. its alittle more constant when in od around 60 to 70 mph. the lack of [email protected] is worse in od from 40 to 60mph. its like the truck dosent react like it should when i give it gas , its almost a hesitation. i have to push pedal half way to floor to make it down shift from od and dosent necissarily shutter at this point. its like there are two different problems, or one problem ,two symptoms. all the repairs i mentioned and my problems have all occured in the last three weeks.

I believe your describing a possible torque converter clutch shudder or a subtle misfire from a weak ignition coil. i suggest you have a power balance test ran while driving to see if it can pick up a cylinder thats providing less than the others as well as use the scan tool to match up the turbine shaft speed and RPMS to see if there is more than a 3mph difference.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician