Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Sports Trac 4x4 automatic

Customer Question
5 speed with 68,500 miles...
I have a 2004 Sports Trac 4x4 automatic 5 speed with 68,500 miles. Tranny is a 55 R 5 E or something like that.

O/D light has started flashing. Took it to the best local tranny shop. Computer read code showing no 4th. gear. They were 90% sure it was a blown valve cover gasket, replaced it with a molded gasket. Did not fix the problem. They suggested it could be electrical sent me to a electrical specialist on computer again, same code as before but said it was not electrical.

Have had scanned twice more same codes not electrical this done by two independent people that has no interest in repair or selling trannies.

Oil is perfect condition red, no burnt smell, and pan is clean as a pin. No slipage. Someone suggested it may be something broke on the tranny that does not require pulling the tranny can't remember what it was called.

Don't want to piece meal parts, racking up a bill on quess's.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
2/27/2012
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Hello and thanks for your question.

So the only code is P0734 and the only symptom is no fourth gear? The transmission has first second third fifth and reverse, correct?
You are correct. 1 2 3 shifts O/D light when it can't find 4.
So does it eventually shift to fifth then?

No. Just tachs between 4 or 5K.

What's your thoughts?

What words of wisdom do you have?
Ok I have no absolute answer on this one, mainly because the symptom does not make sense. In fourth gear all the solenoids are off, which means it can't be a solenoid. Even if a solenoid was stuck in the the off position it would still have fourth and there would be more gears missing then just fourth. In fourth gear the direct clutch and the forward clutch are applied. We know the forward clutch is good, otherwise there would be no forward engagement in any gear. We also know the direct clutch is good because it is applied in reverse. If it were not applying, there would be no reverse engagement. So as you can see it is next to impossible for this transmission to only have no fourth gear with forward and reverse ok. I would really like to know what the actual code(s) is. I have a suspicion that maybe the converter lock might be mistaken for an actual gear change. If you have the actual code or if you can contact the tech that read the code and get back to me then I could take another look at it. I have been working on this trans since its been out and have never seen one just missing fourth with no other symptoms.
Mechanic (not a trannie tech) drove it today said it did not seem to be shifting past third.
Ok then I will opt out and open the question up to other experts.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Ford Mechanic: NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Hi, great question. p0734 gives only 3 obvious faults. Direct clutch fluid passage, or mechanical use, valve body, or extremly worn clutch discs. Transmisison needs to come out and be assesed as neccessary, or a good transmission shop install a pressure gage and monitor trans line pressure when direct clutch is engaged, if a rapid drop, will verify transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced as needed paying close attention to the direct clutch circuit from the case to the valve body.
Basically a p0734 means you have a internal fault in your 5r55E (being a sport trac) and transmission either needs to be rebuilt by a qualified shop, replaced with a remanufactured unit checked by the seller from VIN to fit your explorer or replaced with a used unit guaranteed to work. (recommend going with option #1 or #2) Now, yes direct is required in reverse hydraulically so am suspecting a mechanical fault, Once transmission removed, valve body if not being replaced needs to be completly examined, this is the likely point on why you have reverse without 4th gear. This all can be verified with the correct equipment, and tools, so please keep in mind, requires good hands on testing to verify the information I have given you.

If a shop has line pressure results, or actual codes, let me know what you find so I can further help, thanks!

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech