Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford ranger: having issues with ignition on 88 ranger

Customer Question
having issues with ignition on...
having issues with ignition on 88 ranger
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
2/4/2012
Ford Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Welcome,

You didnt mention what kind of issues??

Please take your time and provide all the details. The more you tell me, the quicker we can get it solved.
we initially thought we were having fuel problems,truck would turn over and start sporadiclly. we replaced ignition key switch because you could bump it and it would die and bump again and start.just an issue it had when we bought it.any way,we soon discovered it was the switch on collumn.when we replaced,it made shorting sound at collumn and smoke under hood,but it started.turned off immediately,got a new switch and replaced again and then nothing in crank position.found burned wire,spliced it back together,still nothing.have 12 volts to and from switch. have replaced solenoid,checked ignition module,replaced clutch switch.totally baffled
we initially thought we were having fuel problems,truck would turn over and start sporadiclly. we replaced ignition key switch because you could bump it and it would die and bump again and start.just an issue it had when we bought it.any way,we soon discovered it was the switch on collumn.when we replaced,it made shorting sound at collumn and smoke under hood,but it started.turned off immediately,got a new switch and replaced again and then nothing in crank position.found burned wire,spliced it back together,still nothing.have 12 volts to and from switch. have replaced solenoid,checked ignition module,replaced clutch switch.totally baffled you can jump across solenoid and it starts and runs fine
Thanks a lot for that info!

Lets start at the solenoid. With the key in both the on and run positions see if there is power to the red and blue striped wire on the solenoid. It should be on the "S" terminal of the solenoid...let me know please and we can go from there.
yes,on the two red/blue wires i have 12 volts to ignition module,nothing on the other one going into a plug
Thanks,

If you unplug the red/blue wire at the starter solenoid terminal, and try to start it, does that wire get power....probably not but that is the first thing i need to know for sure.

graphic

k,be right back

k,be right back, no there is not, that is the wire that comes form plug that did not have power

Thats what i figured but had to be sure. That gets power from the ignition switch in the start position. Thats why if you jump it to the battery terminal it will start.

Power to that portion of the switch function(starting) comes from the fusible link wire on the solenoid and goes to the switch after it goes thru the clutch switch. Below is a diagram and you can follow the path of current for the starting circuit.

Ever heard of a fusible link?

graphic
yes
Most likely thats the problem because they blow anytime the ignition switch fries so it doesnt take out the rest of the wiring.

There are a few fuse links in the system and here is another diagram for you to follow.

You can always start at the ignition switch and see if one of the yellow wires is missing power, and that will be the culprit.

graphic

If you have any further questions or need more help at all please feel free to reply. If not, Please remember we use an honor system and you must click on accept for me to receive credit for assisting you.

Your question does not close or dissapear after you accept so you can always reply right back here if needed for no charge.
thanks i will check tommorrow and let you know

Thats fine but just remember that Your question does not close or dissapear after you accept so you can always reply right back here if needed for no charge.

LJ
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic

Hey, LJ

I went out this morning to start checking some of those fuse links,,then out of nowhere it began starting ??????

Hi there,

If you moved some of the wires around over by the solenoid thats where the fuse links connect. Maybe have one that is partially burnt inside and moving it made it connect??

Ya just gotta love electrical issues :-)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
was just poking it with a sharp stick
Ha,,better keep it handy.
thanks for your time,
Anytime.

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic