Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Mustang GT: speedometer stopped working on my 05 mustang

Customer Question
speedometer stopped working...
speedometer stopped working on my 05 mustang ,replaced stepper motor still same
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2012
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Auto Service Technician replied 5 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do all the other gauges work properly?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

yes the other gauges ok . I have replaced the steppermotor on circuit board

The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective Instrument Cluster. However, before replacing any parts, I always recommend proper testing first. If you need, I can send the test procedures as well as the replacement instructions, directly from Ford.

The Speedometer/Odometer Is Inoperative

Normal Operation

Vehicle speed information is sent to the instrument cluster by the powertrain control module (PCM) over the high speed controller area network (HS-CAN) communication bus. The PCM calculates vehicle speed from the transmission output shaft speed (OSS) sensor input and from the tire size and axle ratio configuration in the vehicle identification (VID) block of the PCM.

The instrument cluster receives an odometer message from the PCM and stores the mileage in memory. When the instrument cluster fails to receive the odometer message for more than 2 seconds, the odometer displays dashes.

Possible Causes

• PCM
  • instrument cluster

Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

CLICK HERE FOR TEST PROCEDURES (REFER TO PINPOINT TEST "G")

Shawn
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician