Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Ford Ranger 4x2: how do i fix trouble code p1451

Customer Question

how do i fix trouble code p1451
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

The P1451 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a faul tin the EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid. Carefully inspect the vacuum lines in this area for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. Inspect the wire harness for any loose or broken wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, suspect a faulty Vent Solenoid.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Here's a better look at the Vent Solenoid, as it is shown mounted to the EVAP Canister:
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

The canister vent solenoid:

• is mounted to the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister.
  • can be serviced separately.
  • seals the evaporative emission system for the OBD II leak check.
  • can be closed with the scan tool. The fuel tank filler cap:
  • relieves fuel tank pressure above 14 KPa (2 psi) .
  • relieves fuel tank vacuum below 3.8 kPa (0.53 psi) .
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry after hours of checking all your answers=solutions it turned out to be a blown fuse for the oxygen -heat sensors-- a $1.00 fuse-cost me $200.00 ++ in other repairs that probably wernt necesary !!!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm. Seems a bit odd. The Oxygen Sensors are not related to the P1451. Totally different system, totally different p-code set when the oxygen sensor fuse is faulty. If the light returns, look into the answers above.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after replacing the fuse the check engine light cleared and it passed inspection !!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Whatever cured the problem. I just don't see how a fuse that runs a sensor in the Fuel/Air delivery system interacted with a sensor in the EVAP system, and set an EVAP system p-code. Weird, but as long as you're all fixed up...