Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

95 f-Super duty: the diesel 7.3 have a timing chain

Does a 95 f-Super duty...
Does a 95 f-Super duty with the diesel 7.3 have a timing chain? and how to check it.
Went out this morning and started it up, after a few sec heard a loud bang and engine died. Now it starts but there is a constant clicking noise that changes pitch when we rev the engine.
1/13/2012
POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Hello Just Answer customer-
I am a Ford Diesel Master Certified Technician. I am here to help you repair your vehicle. No the timing system is all gears. So there is no telling what the noise is unless you use a long thin screwdriver to touch the front cover with the engine running until you find the source of the noise. The 7.3 is not known for timing gear issues but anything can happen. More than likely the gears are not the problem since the high psi oil pump runs of the cam gear and if it broke the oil pump would not supply oil for the engine to run. Just check with the screwdriver and try to pinpoint the noise and let me know where it is.
okay after checking for there the noise seems to be coming from the back of the engine and seems to be a more metallic sound down near the flywheel we took of the flywheel cover and looked at that it seems okay
Is this truck an automatic or standard
it's a automatic
ok well that rules out the dual mass flywheel. You may have a torque convertor that has come apart. Will the truck go into gear aand shift?
yes but we have only run it briefly to move it up on cement so we can look at it. it goes in a forward and reverse really track down the sounds but it seems to be louder and more distinct underneath the truck. it sure sounds a lot like a timing chain guide? how difficult to get a look at the timing chain
there is no timing chain. The crank,cam and oil pump are all gear driven and are in the front of the motor. If the noise is from the bottom and towards the back like I said you may have a broken torque converter or and flywheel broken.
any other symptoms would help us narrow it down. Would test driving it help? or is that a bad idea? As i said, we havent driven it as i didnt want to do further/terminal damage.
you can try driving it to see if it will change gears but narrowing the noise to a pinpoint area will be better, if its a busted rod driving it will be bad. Either way its an internal problem so major tear down will be required, if you can narrow it to the transmission bell housing it will be easier to remove the trans to check the converter and flywheel. The truck will run with the trans out because the starter mounts to the adaptor plate, so leave the exhaust attached and after the trans is out and no problem there jack up the back of the engine and loop the trans lines together and start the engine.
POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Great idea to drop the tranny!
Thanks for the info on the gears too.
How are you with the brakes on that?

ok if i get back to you after we get this issue taken care of?
Thanks again!
I know them inside and out and come on back and we will fix that too.
POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic