Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford: I have 2006 F150 5.4 triton, I just put a new timing

Customer Question
I have 2006 F150 5.4...
I have 2006 F150 5.4 triton, I just put a new timing chain in and it starts and rund good but I dove about 3 miles and when I come off the interstate to a stop light it sounds like I have a rod knock rough idle. If I shut the truck off and restart it seems fine for a while and does it again. If I brake tork the truck it sometimes does it too.
Dave
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
1/9/2012
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA, when the engine was knocking, did the check engine light come on?

I baught the truck from a auction, the light was already on. I wrote down the codes and that was the fuel pressuer and fuel temp P0183 P0193 and P1000. After reading some values the fuel purge solinoid seems not to be working. P034, 020evap not ready, 020R not ready. Cant read the writing but a SRC/or SKC can disabled is all I am finding.

Dave

I also just replaced the fuel filter. This truck sounds great when first started, no issues but after its warm it so it seems. When it seems to develope a miss/ or low fuel pressure not sure how to describe it. it sounds like a rod knock engine is shaking idle is lower. if I give it some throtle it goes away, if I shut it off and restart seems to be ok. If I brake torke it after it has done it, the truck seems to do it again easily.

if that helps any.

Dave

The most likely cause is that the thrust bearing on the crankshaft is worn, when this happens, the crankshaft will "walk" back and forth in the cylinder block, and when it moves, it will actually block off the oil passage that delivers engine oil to the camshaft phasers, and when they lose oil pressure, the cam timing is retarded, causing a low idle, rough idle, and possible oil light to come opn, along with engine knocking noise. Measure the crankshaft end play, and replace the thrust bearing, as needed.

that dont make much sence to me, my oil light is not on I am not loosing pressure. If I restart the noise is gone.

I dont think that the starter could reposition the crank forward but I am not the expert either.

Let me know

Dave

I said a possible oil light on...and yes the starter can move the crank./..the thrust bearing is to keep the crank from moving forward and back in the engine...when it is worn, the crank will have excessive endplay, which will cause the oil supply hole to be covered up, when you rev it up, or shut it down, and restart it, the crank returns to its original position, and the concern goes away..trust me..common problem on the 5.4L.
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
davehop
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician