Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How to change fuel pump on a 99 f350 with a v10

Customer Question
how to change fuel pump on a 99 f350 with a v10
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2012
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 6 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, My name is***** will do my best to assist you.

I need to know if your gas tank is at rear of truck or behind rear axle OR along the side of the truck say running along side the frame?

in front of the axle along the d side frame rail
Thanks. Please bear with me as I need to pull up and send the repair information to you. Back shortly
k

Ok obviously this job is much easier up on a lift and using a trans jack to lower tank. If you have fule in the tank, it will be heavy and have to use a drain machine to draw gas from tank. If you can drain the tank, it will be heavy and if on the ground will need to use floor jacks.

You will also need the fuel line diconnect tool. Its a small special tool for removing the lines from top of tank. Most all parts stores sell the tool

Once tank is out, you undo the ring at top of pump and slide pump out of the tank

Click HERE for tank removal and then Click HERE for pump removal

what is the preferred way to release the fuel line residual pressure?

diconnect NEG side of battery. Go to the fule injector rail on the engine. Look for the fule pressure test port as shown below. It should still have a cap on it like a valve stem on a tire. Depres the pintle inside and fule pressure will be released. have a rag around it to help keep clean

graphic

I was hoping for some more insight rather than the same information that was available from open sources
Please tell me what you require. i can possibly help with some steps but not being there is difficult and you ahve not emntioned what info you already have on hand and what details in particular you need. I can only assume you needed the repair info as offered by manufacturer as well as i added some add'l . In order to help, i need to know what details you seek. I am here to help but cant without knowing detailed info you need. Pls LMk thanks

I was hoping for a list of things to look out for. As you are well aware very few jobs go according to the book. Most will have minor snafus that only experience will prepare you for. So I followed the instructions that came with the pump and all went mostly ok. The old pump did not release by squeezing the tabs. But after fighting with it for a while, I reached alongside and popped the tabs loose by working on the bottom of the tabs. That is the type of snafus I would have liked to have been ready for from jump street.

Thanks and a Happy New Year, Mike

I am sorry and understand now but.. I can only respond to the question as to how the question was worded and you only asked how to change the pump and tried "nothing" so i have to start somewhere. I am on/off through most each day and here to help but can only go on what info is supplied to us as we do not know ones skill level etc. Sorry you ran into some snags as its not a 123 job but i never know what snag you may hit. each vehicle is dfferent. thanks for the followup and hope you have a good year as well.
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician