Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1993 ford: van..acceleration..vacuum to the egr valve all the time

Customer Question
1993 ford e150 van with...
1993 ford e150 van with a 302 after warm up it has poor acceleration and stumbles if you hold the foot pedal down it will backfire. should i have vacuum to the egr valve all the time?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
12/25/2011
Ford Mechanic: Steve, Ford Technician replied 5 years ago
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

have you replaced the fuel filter yet?

Steve :

By your description you are running lean.

Customer:

Yes i have

Steve :

Couple things to check is the fuel pressure on the fuel rail. Should be around 32 psi at idle and increase to 42 psi on acceleration. The fuel pressure should not drop but rise under a load.

Steve :

another thing to check is the ign timing

Steve :

with the spout connector unplugged timing should be 10 degrees btdc and the timing should advance with the spout connector plugged in.

Customer:

Yes it is ok I also took it to the ford dealer they said it was a vacuum problem. I repaired all the vac lines. still doesnt work. Timming is right on

Steve :

How did you check the timing?

Steve :

what was the fuel pressure at at idle and under a load?

Customer:

I checked it with a light. Then the ford garage checked it and the fuel pres also

Steve :

did you unplug the spout connector?

Steve :

do you know what the pressure is?

Customer:

should i have vac at the egr valve all the time

Customer:

dont remenber but I changed the pump and regulator on the advice of just answer but the truck runs no better

Steve :

no only under a load on the egr vacuum at idle no vacuum on the egr valve

Customer:

If I apply vacuum with a hand held pump to the egr should i be able to stall the engine

Steve :

yes or idle very rough

Steve :

what are the codes from the engine computer?

Customer:

I dont have them here but one was egr not opening. another was to lean

Steve :

I can understand the lean reason itis running bad

Steve :

the no flow could be egr valve is stuck closed

Customer:

could it be the computer

Customer:

I changed the egr valve no change

Steve :

did you change the sensor on top of the egr valve

Steve :

and or could have no vacuum to the egr under a load

Steve :

the computer could be bad But I doubt it

Steve :

how does it idle?

Customer:

it idles good

Customer:

I think the sensor came on the valve I just pluged the new one in

Customer:

I took the catilitic converter out awhile ago could that have any effect on this it did the same thing with it in there but it was all broken apart

Steve :

Usually there is a sensor on top of the egr valve. it does not come with one. Did you transfer it over? If it did not get transfered over and is missing. it will not work the egr valve and you will have no flow.

Steve :

did you check for codes after you replaced the egr valve?

Steve :

Tell me more about the cat

Steve :

did you replace it?

Customer:

yes they were still there.or back. I just took it out and didnt replace it

Steve :

What is covering the egr holes? Tell me more about the cat

Customer:

I dont know what you mean about egr holes

Customer:

i took the cat out and put a pipe there

Steve :

did any cat material get into the muffler. Did you run the van with the exhaust off before putting straight pipe back in? Did you put the o2 sensors back in?

Customer:

I replaced the muffler at the same time. o2 sensers are in. Yes I ran it with no exhust same thing

Steve :

Is the egr valve back on the engine?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

how far is the timing advancing under a load?

Customer:

I dont know i didnt check it under a load. the ford garage said the timming was ok. When i apply vac with a hand pump to the egr it has no effect

Steve :

That will not cause the concern. you are having. More than likely the egr is not opening probably frozen. You said you put the sensor back on top of the egr valve

Customer:

There was no sensor on top of the egr valve but there was spot for a plug and i pluged it back in dould the sensor be somewhere else

Steve :

No it goes on top of the egr valve this is a 93?

Customer:

yes 93 all that was there was a plug and a vacuum port

Steve :

White sensor goes On top of the egr valve need to get it back on.

Steve :

are you maby talking about the vacuum control

Steve :

sounds like you are talking about the egr control solenoid not the egr valve

Customer:

it was egr valve it bolted to the engine and has the pipe running to it at the bottom and goes to the exhust

Steve :

needs a sensor on top of it for it to work

Customer:

it must have come on the new one as it had an electrical plug to it

Steve :

do you know what a spout connector is?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

Were is it located?

Customer:

on the drivers side looks kind of like a fuse

Steve :

by the ign module right? Did you unplug it to check the timing?

Customer:

yes i did. the ford garage also checked the timming

Steve :

did you replace the ignition module?

Steve :

i see you replaced the distributor ?

Customer:

I did but with a used one

Customer:

yes replaced the dist

Steve :

did you replace the coil?

Customer:

yes replaced the coil

Steve :

You are looking at a bad computer, or a fuel problem. Before replacing the computer I WOULD GO BUY A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE AND double check the fuel pressure. if ok replace the computer.

Steve :

Or you can take the computer apart and check

Remove the computer. Remove the cover for the circuit board. Check for a burnt blue capacitor wires two of them on the circuit board, and or discolored capacitor. There are only two blue ones. On the circuit board. The farthest one from the 60 pin connecter is the bad one.

Go to radio shack and buy a 10uv @ 100v capacitor. Replace it and all will be good.

Steve :

If not burnt then replace the computer with a rebuilt one

Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Steve
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician