Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I am looking to change the throttle body on my 2007 ford fusion

SE 4 CYL Auto. Can...
I am looking to change the throttle body on my 2007 ford fusion SE 4 CYL Auto. Can you provide me with some good step by step instructions on how to perform this job? I saw online where I can get a new one for around $250 and a used for $145 (seems kinda cheap though) the dealer wants 1800 for the entire job! So you can see why I am trying to do it myself. I know exactly where the throttle body is, just don't want to start disconnecting stuff that I have no idea what it is!

http://www.amazon.com/2007-FORD-FUSION-THROTTLE-BODY/dp/B004K8VELM (new throttle body)
12/11/2011
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

pretty straightforward. book labor time is less than 1 hour at 0.8hr:

graphic

graphic

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
Wow, pretty simple. Just crazy that the dealer wants 1800 for the job when the part is about 750 and only takes one hour or so! In any case, I am having tranny issues, im sure you could tell, the tranny seems to slip from third gear into fourth. All other gear changes feel normal and the "slip" seems to only occur when the car is in normal operating temp. Also, sometimes when its shifting into second it seems to delay then shifts harshly. Not sure if you think this is a throttle body job but the dealer said throttle body at the min and prob a tranny repl is the ideal..what are your thoughts?

the transmission receives information for shift points and shifting parameters from the throttle position sensor which is built in to the throttle body. If bad, this will cause all sorts of shifting issues, including hard or delayed shifts as well as possible slippage.

Before going with a transmission replacment or overhaul, you definitely want to replace the the throttle body as this will cause those issues
That makes sense. I assume the throttle position sensor cannot be accessed so a replacement is the only way to change that sensor correct? In general, if this has been going on for 30K miles, I could only speculate there might be some damage to the tranny if it were subjected to the slippage? I am no expert, hence why I came to you, so please don't laugh! In your opinion, do you think getting the throttle body off amazon is ok for $250 or should I end up spending the $750 get it via ford? Thanks for your help!

correct, the TP sensor is intergrated into the electronic throttle body and is not serviceable by itself. you have to replace the whole throttle body.

if there has been slippage, then there is some wear to the clutch packs, but not always enough to warrant transmission replacement or overhaul. once you replace the throttle body, you may not experience any other transmission issues.

As long as the throttle body that is advertised comes with a warranty and is for your specific application(yr, model, engine size), then it should work fine
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
If I have additional questions or problems that arise with the install of the TB when is the best time or days to get a hold of you for followups? Thanks again for your help, it seems pretty straight forward though!

I am here most days from about 10am to 8pm MST. just come back and re-open this same question and post to here that way it comes straight to me
Sounds good I will make sure I come straight to you! Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

sounds great and have a great Holiday Season!
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager