Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F150: firing..lower speeds strong gas smell from exhaust

Customer Question
Ford F150 2006 Experiencing Engine...
Ford F150 2006 Experiencing Engine "vibration" and possible back fireing at lower speeds
strong gas smell from exhaust. Seems to be better at higher speeds
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Ford
12/2/2011
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 5 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.
Has the check engine light come on?
Engine light on at higher speed blinking
thought so thanks. BTW: engine size?
V 6 unsure liter
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX type up some info. Back shortly
ok
what you have is an ignition coil on top of each plug rather than wires. These coils are notoroius for failing. When they do, you get a miss, the light flashes and you smeel gas as its not burning. the problem is which coil. the only way to know is with code scan. Most parts stores will do fro free like an autozone, advance etc. they will give you the code like PO304 which means its cylinder #4, Or PO306 for cylinder 6. the cylinders are 123 down passeneger side and 456 on drivers. if you get the cylinder# XXXXX suspect you will need the coil on top of the plug. Not to hard to change as held by only one bolt and it slips off the plug
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician