Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford freestar: i had the torque converter replaced at about

Customer Question
i had the torque converter...
i had the torque converter replaced at about 60,000 miles in june of 2009 the van now has about 90,000 miles on it the died on sunday and had to be towed i have been told it might be the same thing or some other 25.00 part i think they said a seal however they won't know unless they take the transmission apart which would cost around $2000.00 my vehicle is a 2005 Ford Freestar what are your suggestions? i still owe about $4000.00 on the van and have 4 kids so i need this type of vehicle and to replace it would cost me over $12,000
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
11/18/2011
Ford Mechanic: Steve, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Steve and I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

I do not believe it is the trans.

Steve :

If it was it would restart no problem and you would not have had to have it towed.

Steve :

There is another concern I have seen many times after raining.

Steve :

The computer that controls the engine will fill up with water and cause this concern.

Steve :

hi

Steve :

What you need to tell your mechanic to do is to remove the computer that controls the engine and trans and tip it side ways and see if water comes out of it. Or take it apart and see if there is evidence of water and corrosion.

Steve :

If there is you will need to replace the computer. You will also need to take the computer apart and seal the new computer with silicone to prevent it from re occurring again.

Steve :

Right click copy and past this to a word document and take it to your mechanic.

Steve :

Let me know if you have further questions.

Steve :

If not please hit the green accept button so I may get credit thanks.

Steve
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician