Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

lite..its intermittent have replaced all 2ndry ign..vacume suplys

Customer Question
po306 i have a noid...
po306 i have a noid lite on injector #6 it will stay on and then will go out and its intermittent have replaced all 2ndry ign and upper plenum gaskits and have pluged all vacume suplys also swaped #6 with #4 injector skip stays in #6 if i disconect #6 inj it will also get p0302 please help
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
11/14/2011
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA, what year is your vehicle, the info states 1987, but it must be a typo.

10 of 96

ok, when you use a noid light, the signal is erratic, how often is the signal not there? once a minute or more frequent?
sometimes it stops all together and may be out for two min or longer . she the cust just showed me that her day time running lites stay on with key off untill she turns the heat off wow lol i think i need some ground locations ?
lets work on the driveability issue first...can you wiggle the wiring from the PCM to the injector harness while its running to see if the noid light reacts to it?
i would love to but im looking now for the pcm its hard to follow the harnes
the PCM is located just under the wiper cowl...if you look at the area where the 3 nuts that keep the passenger side strut mounted to the body are, just beyond that is the PCM connector. The PCM on this vehicle is susceptible to having moisture in the connector, so if you can remove the connector and inspect it for moisture, that may be the problem altogether.
i have removed pcm conector and it appears dry reinstalled and that injector is firing however still runs ruff like an old fashon lean miss ill get back to you. any other commin things i may need to know?
is the noid light still showing an erratic signal?
im not shure whats going on that noid lite is good now but it runs real bad not a skip but staling ruff idle surging what next? fuel psi is 32 psi 35 if i disconect reg that cant be right. and no joke the head lits stay on untill u turn the heat off
is the check engine light on..any codes?
no check eng lite is off have no pending codes
the fuel pressure should only jump up to about 40 psi max with the regulator unplugged.... sounds more like a vacuum leak, on the top of the intake is a vacuum elbow, just behind the throttle body, can you see if it is soft and mushy, or hard and brittle?
yes it is soft and mushy. i have capped it with a rubber cap. no change. and replaced the live rubber piece at the pcv
o and i checked the intake vacuum its 15 t 18 in but it changes is is surges
at idle, in park, the vacuum is steady at 15 to 18 inches, or does it fluctuate?
it changes with rpms it almost seems to lead as if maybe the timming is changing but could be it just cant keep up
Im leaning toward possibly a broken valve spring...can you do a compression test?
yes i did im not kidding with all plugs out and because its hard to get at #1` 2 and #3 i did it cold all were at 89 t0 92 psi
thats very low...should be up around 150 to 175 psi...sounds like broken valve springs to me...if possible, squirt a few drops of oil into the cylinders, then redo the compression test...if the compression comes up, then the rings are bad, if it stays low...suspect valvetrain problem. Update me, Im off line for a bit, but Ill be back in awhile, ok?
nice ill have to get the car back in thay lost patience with me ill let u know
ok, it is very likely that there is a valve train concern, if we were losing compression past the rings, we'd most likely be blowing smoke out the vacuum lines.
davehop
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician