Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

Ford Taurus SE: 2003 ford taurus, had oil leak around oil pan

Customer Question

2003 ford taurus, had oil leak around oil pan gasket, replaced gasket still leaking, all bolts are tight and gasket appears to be installed correctly,help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

If it is still the oil pan gasket leaking, the only thing I can think of at some time or another someone had overtightened the oil pan bolts. When this happens you can tighten them and the pan will still leak. What you are going to have to do is flatten back out those hole pan bolt holes using 2 hammers, one of which must be a ball peen. See this picture.

Basically what you are going to have to do, is set the edge of the oil pan on a vise's flat surface or on the edge of a work bench, then take a hammer and smash the bolt holes back flat. Look at the picture where I marked the bolt hole as bad, see how it got peened too much from over tightening. Now once you get them all flat again, set the smaller ball peen hammer, the ball end of the hammer on the hole and hit that hammer with another hammer and peen the hole a little the opposite way so the peen now faces the outside of the pan, so when you tighten down the bolts, the bolt heads touch the upraised metal and force the bolt holes down tight again. Just don't over tighten them.

Let me see if I can find a torque. Be right back!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

For the engine vin U,

1.Install the oil pan with new gaskets. Tighten the bolts as follows:
Step 1: Tighten the 4 corner bolts to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
Step 2: Tighten the remaining bolts to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
Step 3: Retighten all bolts to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
Now 108 inch pounds is 9 ft lbs cause 108/12 there are 12 inches in a foot.

9 ft lbs may be a little difficult to judge with a torque wrench. Unless you have an inch pound torque wrench.

Usually oil pan bolts, I tighten them with no bigger than a 3/8" drive ratchet. I use medium pressure and make sure you go around the oil pan tightening them down evenly. I like to do all 4 corners then skip one bolt and go around all 4 sides, untill they are all snug, then go around again and again, at least 3 times. Then the last time just go around to check them all. If you start to here metal crunching you are going too tight.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

If this is the vin S DOHC.

1.Install or connect the following:
Oil pan. Use a new gasket and tighten the bolts in sequence to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
Transaxle support bracket. Tighten the nuts to 71–106 inch lbs. (8–12 Nm) and the bolts to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this was checked by mechanic the second time he replaced oil pan gasket.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
Is it the gasket that is leaking again? If so where at?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Appears to be around front of motor, but he says front seal is not leaking.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
Perhaps it's not, it may be the timing chain cover.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
my mechanic has check all the things he suggested
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Steve W, the best way to check for a leak like this is to take regulated shop air 5-10 psi and pressurize crankcase through breather tube in valve cover, then spray soapy water around the front of the pan area, this will show a leak for sure and exactly where it is coming from by indicating bubbles at the leak point. Any more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W