davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

Ford Mustang: my 2004 mustang park gear is stuck and wont shift

my 2004 mustang park gear is stuck and wont shift to drive. this happened a few times but got it to shift now its stuck and wont move how do I fix it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.

davehop :

Hello and welcome to JA, do the brake lights work?

Customer:

no they dont

Customer:

no brake lights arnt working

davehop :

ok, the brake lights are the input to the shift lock, if they dont work then the shifter will not come out of park...can you look under the dash, on the brake pedal and see if the switch is plugged in, and if the wires going into the switch are broken?

Customer:

i plugged it back in and the wires are about to break do i gotta take it to a mechanic andget em replaced or can i do it myself and how much will it cost me?

davehop :

the connector is available from the dealer or an auto parts store, the wires will have to be spliced together, have you ever done this type of repair? If not, it is best left to a pro.

Customer:

no i havn't done this type of repair, about how much am i looking at for the repair

davehop :

the connector costs about $18.00 and whoever does the repair will most likely charge you about $129.00

davehop :

please hit the green accept tab if my answer was helpful.