Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2003 Taurus SES 3.0 Duratec 24 valve DOHC V6 I am installing the Crankshaft Timi

I have a 2003 Taurus SES 3.0 Duratec 24 valve DOHC V6
I am installing the Crankshaft Timimg Gear, it has two keyways and a gap in the teeth in part of the circle. witch way does the gap point when the timing is at TDC?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

Here are the instructions, click here. Make note of where it says, Be sure that the crankshaft keyway is still at the 11 o'clock position.
2.Install or connect the following:
Left timing chain and crankshaft sprocket. Align the colored links with the index marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.

Let me know if that doesn't explain it all or if you don't see the colored links or index marks they are mentioning.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
The keyway position for the 3.0L (VIN S) engine will be marked 30, 30RFF or with an ORANGE stripe.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has two keyways cut into it, but witch one is correct. Where does the gap in the ring of teeth point? My gear had orange paint but is faded to much to be sure.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
I would say to remove the #1 spark plug and reach down into the cylinder with a plastic coffee stirrer and feel the top of the piston. Turn the crank untill the piston is exactly at tdc, then see how the crank gear should go on so that the keyway is at the 11 o'clock position.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are 2 Keyways cut in the crank gear. Thats why i'm asking where the gap in the teeth points.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

You did say there was an orange mark. See after you get the #1 piston up at tdc, which keyway would have to be at the 11 o'clock position in order to have either the orange mark or the gap in the teeth at the position they are talking about in this diagram, unless of course that mark is on the chain and not the gear.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you sent me a picture of a crank timing chain gear. That is not what i'm after. What i need help with is the gear with teeth for the crank timing sensor. It does not touch any chains.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I thought you meant gear cause you said, "I am installing the Crankshaft Timimg Gear, it has two keyways and a gap in the teeth"

One moment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So whats next? are we starting over?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

Are you talking about the ignition pulse ring?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) pulse ring is used on several different engines. The keyway position for the 3.0L (VIN S) engine will be marked 30, 30RFF or with an ORANGE stripe.
12.Install the CKP sensor pulse ring. Align the keyway with the proper slot.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If it slides on the crank before the front cover and is trapped in place by the harmonic balancer. it lines up with the crankshaft position sensor.

yes the picture you sent is the part i'm trying to describe. why are there 2 keyways?

and where does the gap in the teeth point?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I see the gap in the teeth you were talking about.

graphic

I would say, align that gap where it is and see which keyway is in the position like in this diagram. Cause I only see 1 keyway unless its hidden or the picture isn't clear.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
It appears to me that gap is in the same spot as the keyway. Plus it looks like that hole in the gear in that one spot has a square corner.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
I think that is what you wanted, if not I'm going out for cigarettes and I'll be back in about 20 minutes.