Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

95 escort: ro sputter and car stalls..light engine light comes..awhile

Customer Question
have a 95 escort sometimes...
have a 95 escort sometimes starts ro sputter and car stalls or you have to keep your foot on the gas a little to keep it from stalling when you are at a light engine light comes on when this is happening but goes off when the car is running normal oxygen sensors were changed helped for awhile but now its back to the same old
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
9/30/2011
Ford Mechanic: John Mc, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

This sounds like a bad mass airflow sensor or a bad idle air control valve. I would start with cleaning the maf sensor. If this doesn't help then you need to get it scanned. This should give a code as to whether it is a maf or an iac valve. Once you get this done, most parts stores can do it, then you can go from there. Be careful, if you are still gettting oxygen sensor codes a maf sensor can also cause these. Many people replace the oxygen sensors based on these codes when it is really the maf sensor.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

If you need me and it says I am not in chat it is ok. I get a message as soon as you respond so I can come right back.

Customer:

my mechanic said it was the sensor he changed it and it still did it he got a second sensor and changed it again thinking the first could be bad like i said it worked fine for almost 2 weeks now its happening again

John Mc :

The mass airflow sensor? You said the oxygen sensors were replaced.

Customer:

what sensor is in the tube comming from the ai rfilter to the engine

John Mc :

That is the mass airflow.

Customer:

that is the 1 he changed twice

John Mc :

Ok, has the idle air control valve been changed. This can also give the same symptoms. The only other sensor that can cause this is the throttle position sensor.

Customer:

i do not think they were changed

Customer:

can i change these myself

John Mc :

I would try the iac valve first. This is a common failure. If that doesn't do it then go with the throttle position. These are not very common but when they fail can do weird things.

Yes you can change them. The iac is on the top of the intake manifold and the tp sensor is on the throttle body. Both are very simple to change.

Customer:

if they don't work can i still come back here for your advice

John Mc :

Sure. I should be on tomorrow and all next week but I am taking off on sunday.

Customer:

ok thank you

John Mc :

I'm leaving for the night. If you respond I will answer in the morning.

Any further questions? If not and if I have been helpful please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today.

Thanks,
John Mc

John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
John Mc
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician