Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2009 Ford F150: loud cam..ticking noise..passenger side of the motor

Customer Question
My 2009 Ford F150 has...
My 2009 Ford F150 has had loud cam phaser noise sense I bought it new I keep bringing it in to metropolitan ford mn but they tell me that is normal but it driving me nuts also a ping noise what can I do short of selling it and never buying a Ford again its got the 5.4 ffv v8 engine  its a ticking noise ! I noticed the noise is coming from a small canister looking thing attached to the tubes running along the top of the valve covers on the passenger side of the motor the canister about 2in across and 2 in high.and it attached above the tubes.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2011
Ford Mechanic: Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician

Don Knight :

The cam phaser noise is NOT normal.If you call the parts department ask them how many they sell.i have done quite a few of these and yes the noise will stop anyone from buying your truck.The only special tool you need to change the phaser is a wedge to hold the timing chain in place.I made one from a small block of wood with a wire attached to pull it out when is replased the phaser.The ticking noise may be transfering from the phaser.Please let me know if you need more assistance,Don

Customer:

I have a exstended warrantee from ford would this be covered.

Customer:

I have only 9000 miles on this truck

Ford Mechanic: Marty, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited.

It sounds like you are talking about the purge solenoid noise that is common on this Truck. Here is the TSB for this and look at the pictures that Iam sending to confirm the noise is coming from the same component. LINK1 Link2 It should be covered under your extended warranty.
the tubes and canister thing are both aluminam above valve covers like I said its on the passenger side.
The only tubes on the left side on this engine are the fuel injector rail and A/C lines. The injectors are noisy, you can try a injector cleaner. Other than that this purge solenoid that I had pointed out is a common concern for complaints of ticking noise.

graphic
IT SOUNDS LIKE IT COMING FROM PART NO 11 I THINK!
That is the fuel rail pressure sensor and is on the drivers side. take a look at the links I sent you earlier and see if the noise is from the component in those pictures. The FRP will not make this noise.
Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Ford Technician