Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Need to know why in my 2004 ford Taurus the DPFE sensor keeps melting

I have a 2004 ford...

I have a 2004 ford Taurus the DPFE sensor keeps melting. I had the converters replace on the car because they were plugged up. The EGR valve appears to be working correctly. I and my mechanic are dumbfounded to what the problem is. I really need some help on this. The car only has 83000 miles.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2011
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician

Expert: Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem. The only thing that causes a DPFE to melt is excessive back pressure. Which cats did you replace?

Customer: The main big one was replaced and the others dumped out. I also had a trash muffler put on. The system is breathing just fine.

Expert: If you have no cats in the front, this may be why. Are you worried about the check engine light since you have no cats in the front?

Customer: We put the computer on it after the light came on and it said not enough pressure in the cats.

Expert: I think you need to go back with stock cats, all three and this should solve your problem. Since you have eliminated the cats you have changed the flow characteristics of the entire system and this may be what is causing your problem.

Customer: Let me tell you the car was doing fine around town for 2 weeks. We drove to Oklahoma City which is about 85 mile and it melted on the way back.

Expert: a Long trip with extended driving with the changes. Since your check engine light is going to stay on anyway I would just plug up the DPFE and not worry about it. It should not affect the way it drives at all.

Customer: Is there any code we can put in the system to make the check engine light go off?

Expert: No, for two reasons, first you don't have cats, next because of the DPFE. All you could do is remove the bulb. If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today! Also if you need further assistance with this problem after accepting feel free to ask a follow-up and I'll be glad to help. Thanks.

If you need me and it says I am not in chat it is ok. I get a message as soon as you respond so I can come right back.

Customer: So if we plug the two steel lines off we will be good to go without any future problems?

Expert: Yes it will be fine. Not exactly the perfect repair, but we do what we must :).

Customer: I thank you for your quick response to this. It has solved the problem. Have a great day. Also, the cars fuel mileage went up around 3 miles to the gallon since we opened up the exhaust system. Car runs great.

Expert: Glad to help!! Any further questions?

John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
John Mc
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician