Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

ford: im driving it just cuts of and want crank..few minutes..sits

Customer Question

i have a ford ex with a 4,6 and when im driving it just cuts of and want crank back for a few minutes its like theres no fire or sometimes it want even turn over like its not connected to the starter other times when it sits all night the battary will be dead i dont know if its related or if its 2 differnt problums im a pastor i think i will have an excorcism or pray someone stills it lol please help me
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

when it acts up does the theft light in the dash blink rapidly with the key in the on position?

Steve :

hi

Steve :

Customer:

i have not noticed that

Steve :

it will crank and not start for a few minutes correct

Customer:

thats right

Steve :

does the check engine light com on on the dash with the key on when it acts up and does the check engine light go out when cranking?

Steve :

if the light does not come on you have a power or ground problem to the computer

Steve :

if the light does not go out when cranking then the crank position sensor is bad

Customer:

it has come on at times and it says miss fire i have replaced that sensoras well

Customer:

and also the o2 sensors

Steve :

what is the code?

Steve :

or the missfire code?

Customer:

there is no coad at this time thay where cleard when thay replaced the o2s

Steve :

I have seen many times a faulty coil on plug back feed to the computer and cause this concern. Need the missfire code to determine which cylinder it is

Customer:

this may sound funny but there is a fuse panel on the passenger side kick panel when it would not start i got on the passenger side slaped on the fuse panel wile turning it over and it started . but to answer your other question it was cyl 1

Customer:

i drive it when engine is cold for 1 or 2 miles then it stops no fire then try for minute or so it cranks back drive one third mile does it again the more or loger i drive it the worse it gets

Steve :

did you replace cyl #1 coil on plug?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

but would that make it not start

Steve :

by you slapping the fuse panel you could have a bad fuel pump relay or a bad computer relay

Steve :

have you replaced those yet?

Customer:

all of them

Steve :

also I believe the relays are part of the circuit board of the fuse box have you replaced the fuse box yet?

Customer:

no

Steve :

if you are slapping the fuse box and it starts I would have the fuse box replaced

Customer:

ok thank you

Steve :

your welcome