Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Explorer How much should the labor estimate be to fix

Customer Question
How much should the labor...
How much should the labor estimate be to fix ball joints/suspension on my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
9/4/2011
Ford Mechanic: John Mc, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

Are they replacing upper and lower ball joints?

Customer :

just upper - they said lower didn't need the work

John Mc :

If so the labor is right at 4 hours and the parts are usually around $200-$250. You would be looking at $650-$750 depending on the shop.

John Mc :

Sorry, hold on.

John Mc :

Labor on the uppers is only 1.5 hours and the parts for the upper are probably about $150. The uppers are the expensive ones. You would be looking at around $350 to $400 with an alignment.

John Mc :

How much did they quote you?

Customer :

$1200 - total quote is $1700 since I'm having two new tires put on plus a fuel injector check too

John Mc :

Wow, that is way too much.

Customer :

so, how do I tell/prove to them that I should be paying much less?

John Mc :

It really only takes an hour or two to do this job. Tell them published labor time for replacing both uppers is only 1.5 hours. You will have to argue, but make them show you how they come up with that labor time.

John Mc :

If they can't prove how they came up with the time give the BBB a call.

John Mc :

They will help you.

Customer :

I don't mind arguing at all - they already knocked about $150 off the price when I agreed to have the work done with that $1700 estimate.

Customer :

is there a site online that I can go to see the published times and prices for these?

John Mc :

I would just keep it up. Make them show you why. No, but they should show it to you.

John Mc :

They have to prove what they are charging.

Customer :

that way I can use that as reference to argue what they want me to pay vs what I really should be paying. They told me the biggest part of the bill would be labor. They quickly showed me a price breakdown for the parts.

Customer :

I'm guessing they charge whatever they want for labor if people don't ask questions...

John Mc :

I would ask them to show you there labor time standards. Say you know that alldata labor is 1.5 and you have verified this. Yes they will overcharge if you don't ask questions. These are the people that give the honest businesses bad names.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

If you need me and it says I am not in chat it is ok. I get a message as soon as you respond so I can come right back

Customer :

Thank you for the info :)

John Mc :

yw

John Mc :

Any further questions? If not and if I have been helpful please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today.

Thanks,
John Mc

Customer :

once I hit 'accept' how many questions does it show I accept?

John Mc :

It will show you have accepted 1 out of 1.

John Mc :

Thanks,

John Mc :

John mc

John Mc
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician