Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Escort ZX2: I start my cold car there is a ticking..audible..warm

Customer Question
I have a 99' Ford...
I have a 99' Ford Escort ZX2 2.0 DOHC. When I start my cold car there is a ticking in the motor. It doesn't seem to be present or as audible after the motor has run a while and is warm. The motor also runs cooler than normal at highway or constant speeds. Is there any hope?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
8/28/2011
Ford Mechanic: Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN replied 6 years ago
Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

light ticking noise in the valve train indicates valve lifters

Pavlin Koev :

lefters will lwak and will take time to fill on first start.

Pavlin Koev :

Lucas is good, but not for lifter problem, as lifter oppening is very small and thicker oil is slower to enter

Pavlin Koev :

As for low engine temperature- replace thermostat

Pavlin Koev :

thernostat that is not fully closing will cause this.

JACUSTOMER-9yop2iqd- :

So in your opinion is this a fatal engine fault and could a light experienced mechanic tackle the lifter problem?

Pavlin Koev :

it is not fatal, some cars go for years, I do not say that this is the proper way to go, but you can go like this until ready to do it.

Pavlin Koev :

On this Engine you can Adjust Valve clearence using shims.

Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Thank you for the accept, I can send you adjusting procedure if you will need .
click on the link to see and print- LINK
Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN