Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

03 ford taurus won't start, it cranks strong, it has spark,

smells like gas, but won't...
03 ford taurus won't start, it cranks strong, it has spark, smells like gas, but won't fire. I tried spraying starting fluid in it, and it ran until the fluid ran out. I can not find a way to measure the fuel pressure on the rails, there is no port. I can hear the pump working as soon I turn the key on. What else can I try?
8/27/2011
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Sounds like your issue is the fuel injectors are not spraying, this can be caused by the anti theft system if the light is flashing rapid or by no power to the injectors or no ground pulse from a cam sensor issue. See the testing directions below.

graphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hi, Chris I finally got it! you can tell that I don't do mechanics that often anymore. Anyway, I checked the injectors with my voltmeter, and they were getting juice. Still I wasn't happy with the fact that I couldn't get a fuel pressure reading. So I removed the fuel pressure regulator, and to my surprise there was no pressure in the system. Also with the regulator removed, I cranked the engine and no fuel came through. Now I had a lead to follow, next I went to check the fuel filter and bingo! the flimsy fuel line quick connector had come off! No wonder why the heavy smell of gas. Needless to say that the car started right up. Thanks for the assistance, really appreciated.
Good job
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician