How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Penland Your Own Question
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 6577
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Type Your Ford Question Here...
A. Penland is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

99 ford taurus: steel hose from thermostat housing to motor..rusted

This answer was rated:

steel hose from thermostat housing to motor in 99 ford taurus is rusted i need the name of this part

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.


The pipe the comes out of the intake manifold behind the thermostat and goes to the back of the engine is part of the lower intake manifold.


It is not serviced separately.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im purchasing this part and need to know what is the name of it
That pipe is part of the lower intake manifold assembly. It is not a separate piece. You will have to get a lower intake manifold assembly to get the pipe.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok im almost accept answer buti was told that this was the only metal tube in the cooling system is this correct im jus making sure because im buying the part online and dont want to purchase wrong part he said steel hose from thermostat housing to motor was all rustedout and your saying my only way out of this is getting a lowerintake manifold assembly?
The tube is the bypass tube. You also have steel tubes on the firewall for the heater core. See if he can send you a picture of the tube he is selling before you buy it. This tube is press fit into the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the guy that looked at my car for me told me the description i told you i took that description online and they are telling me lower and upper radiator hose or bypass tube all i know is that i need to know what to search for considering he said its the only metal hose in the cooling system connected from the thermostat housing to the motor

Can you give me a link to that web site on line?

Or the web addresses?

Does your tube look like the one in the picture below?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont and i just got off the phone with the guy who looked at the car and he said it has nothing to do with the intake manifold system

Do you have a 12 valve engine or a 24 valve engine?

The 12 valve will have spark plugs in the cylinder heads near the exhaust manifolds.

The 24 valve will have spark plugs in the center of the valve covers.

Ford had 2 different 3.0L V6 engines in 1999.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im not near the car and have no clue if its 12 or 24
That I will need to know. The engines are completely different.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its the 24

Ok. Big difference.

Ask the mechanic if this pipe the section the thermostat sits in or is it the pipe the goes from the thermostat to the water pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i wasnt exact on the engine is there a site that i can look at under the hood looks to see if its the 24 or 12 and he told me it goes from thermostat housing to motor and its only steel tube in there thanks

Below is what the 24 valve looks like.


And below is what the 12 valve looks like. It will have a coil pack mounted on the front valve cover near the engine.



It's getting late, and I have to work tomorrow. I'll be back online tomorrow afternoon.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so it is the 24 valve se submodel and the tube is metal and if u pop open the hood it would be on the left side under the belt and its a angled tube. i sent a bunch of pictures in this link that i think will finish this issue ( this metal tube is like a U shape with a straight piece attached to it at a 90 degree angle (not very descriptive). its a u with the other piece perpindicular to it. now in the pictures im pointing to it with my index and middle fingers in some and in picture number 7 that is exactly what it is with a great shot. in that pic its the upper right portion of the pic showing a rusted angled tube. in picture number 8 u see the two bolts on the right look left and its between the two tubes showing. pic nine is a great look at it also. i need to know exaclty what im searching for to buy and maybe if u can recomend a link to go buy this piece directly from ford or whatever. thanks and god bless

Thanks for the pictures. I had to compair it through 3 different manuals to locate the pipe.

Ford calls it the lower radiator hose pipe assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok do you know where i can find this or what website has it because im not gettin anything on this
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would it be this piece 8a567 ( or one of the others and would it be this same piece from this cheaper site ( thanks for all your hellp

Check out this picture below.


Is this the diagram you saw on the Ford website?

A. Penland and 8 other Ford Specialists are ready to help you