Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

2000 Ford Explorer: circuit..relay..drivers side..engine compartment

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4 x 4, 4.0 liter with a SOHC V6

MY question: I need to add a fuse tap to a swithed circuit (only turns on when the car is running). This fuse tap will be wired to a on/off switch which is connected to a relay. What is a fuse number (either the drivers side fuse panel or the power distribution box inside the engine compartment) can I use?

Also, what is the best way to test a fuse to determine if it is a switch fuse.

Thank You

Renee
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Chuck :

So you want to tap into a fuse that only has power with ignition switch in on position correct?

Chuck :

Is this circuit being tapped to the coil side of the relay?

Customer:

Yes

Chuck :

Yes to both questions?

Customer:

Yes to both questions

Chuck :

Ok you can test to see if the fuse powered up with ignition just use a test light or voltmeter and test fuse with key on and key off.Some of the fuses that will be hot with key on are in the under dash fuse panel no.2(7.5amp),no.14(10amp), no. 10(7.5amp),These three will be hot in start or run, no.11(7.5amp), no.15(7.5amp), no.19(25amp)

Customer:

Ok, just to be clear.

Customer:

fuse #2 for the blower motor relay, Air Bag shows it is hot all the time. Am I wrong?

Chuck :

Fuse no.2 in the under dash fuse panel is hot in the run position only

Customer:

Thank you! I will try that circuit later today.