Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

93 f150: a DPFE sensor and where is it located

Customer Question
Hi frydaddy here. Does my...
Hi frydaddy here. Does my 93 f150 302 have a DPFE sensor and where is it located?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
8/20/2011
Ford Mechanic: Canadafix, Canadian class A certified replied 6 years ago
Canadafix
Canadafix, Canadian class A certified
Hello Frydaddy.
I believe your pickup does have a DPFE.
It is most likely the style in the first picture I sent you.
I am not in my shop today to verify.
On one of the exhaust manifolds, there should be a 1" diameter tube with two small metal ports spaced about 5" apart with a flexible hose attached to each. These go to the DPFE.
Those hoses need to be checked for splitting open.
When the EGR opens, this sensor picks up on the amount of flow difference between the two tubes and calculates how much the EGR is opening.
If it doesn't detect due to a broken hose or defective sensor it will set a code for insuffiecent EGR flow.
As before, please ask if you have further questions.
Thank you.
Bernie
I dont see anything like that. only 97 up is referenced when i looked online.could it be the EVP sensor? it only read 3.5 volts when tested as opposed to the recommended 5. how about the sensor that connects the egr valve by green vac line. has 2 ports and port on top covered by a filter, mounted in front of coil.
Hello Frydaddy.
They do have them previous to 1997.
I drive a 96 F150 4x4 and I know it has the dual hose sensor.
They had PFE's on a Tempo in the 1980's.
I will take a picture of the DPFE on my 96 on monday for you.
Sorry about the delay.

Not likely the EVP as the problem.
The devise with the green hose is a solenoid that controls the vacuum to the EGR.
ok. thank you. i put the old egr valve back on and d/c the vac line. runs better.i will look for your reply monday.
Great.
Thank you for your patience.
We will get this solved.

Bernie
Good morning.
Here is a picture on my 1996.
I looked up on All Data and on Mitchell this morning.
Both list a PFE on your 1993. But no picture of location.
I will keep looking.
graphic
Mine looks nothing like that. My friend has a 95 looks nothing like that. I guess I should say that it has an old custom exhaust with stock manifolds nothing mounted to them, true duals, no cat and 1 O2 sensor.Also, I looked on motorcraftservice.com for a vac diagram. I entered my yr, motor, then it asked for the calibration code. I went out and wrote it down from the sticker on the door. It was not a choice in the drop down menu to select a code. numbers close but not on the list. code is 2-54L-R12. turning into a mystery but I will reset the computer on it tomorrow and see what happens when I reinstall the new EGR valve. Thanks.
OK, let me know how you do with it.
I will look in the meantime. I'll check with the guys at the Ford parts shop with your calibration code tomorrow.
Just called my local Ford parts guy.
Sorry, you are right, no PFE on this one.
Now I will figure out how the ECU determines the low EGR flow and let you know.
Ok. Thanks for all your work
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 6 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Your engine does not have a PFE or a DPFE. It only has the EGR valve and the EGR position sensor mounted on top of the valve. It also has an EVR that controls the vacuum to the EGR to regulate the amount of vacuum the ECU (Engine Computer) sends to open it to allow exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. Below is the Ford Shop Manual diagram of your system. It is a little simplified.

graphic

Below is also the Ford description of how the system works.

EGR Valve Position (EVP) System

The EVP EGR Valve (Figure 6) is required in EEC systems where EGR flow is controlled according to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) demands by means of an EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor attached to the valve.

The valve is operated by a vacuum signal from the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) Solenoid (9J459) which actuates the valve diaphragm.

As supply vacuum overcomes the spring load, the diaphragm is actuated. This lifts the pintle off its seat allowing exhaust gas to recirculate (flow). The amount of flow is proportional to the pintle position. The EVP sensor mounted on the valve sends an electrical signal of its position to the PCM (12A650).

Thanks for clearing that up. I put the new egr valve on and it runs worse than the old one with the vac line d/c and plugged on the old one. thinking evr solenoid. was getting 332 insufficient flow
Make sure the EGR ports are clean. Also, you can test the valve by taking engine vacuum while the engine is running and apply it to the EGR valve vacuum port. It should almost stall the engine. This will test the valve and the ports. But also check the vacuum lines to the EVR. You should have constant vacuum to the red vacuum line while the engine is running.
I'LL try that. today it ran ok with new egr valve but sluggish especially when low rpm. wants to idle around 500 rpm. sometimes too low to keep it running. and surges and bogs when first taking off. no ck eng lt. unplugged evp and vac to egr runs better. . been getting constant vac on the green line at the egr. will let you know what happens. appreciate you jumping in. canadafix didnt sound like he was familiar to my system.

Just keep me informed.

It helps when you are around these vehicles all the time. Hands on is what helps with the knowledge.

I will be able to do more tomorrow.
No problem. Just reply back to me when you are ready.

Sorry its been a while. Anyway, the new EGR valve seems to be working now but my truck idles at around 500 rpms which is too low to maintain volts and sometimes cuts truck off. Also, sometimes esp when hot it wants to surge a little up and down until it gets to 2000 rpm. Also sometimes seems to bog at takeoff like its getting too much fuel. no ck eng light. Any thoughts?

Clean the throttle body out with a throttle body cleaner.

Then adjust you idle at the idle stop on the side of the throttle body. Adjust it a little then turn the truck off and restart it. Check the rpms, they should be about 800 rpm when it is set right.

ok, done. but it idles up and down over and over from about 700 to 1000 rpm. You know, when I run the A/C my idle doesnt kick up to compensate for the drain. dont think its related but thought i would mention it. could the tps sensor have anything to do with all this?
Clean out the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve on the side of the throttle body. If the problem is still present, then it could be a failing TP sensor.

ok. recently replaced IAC. so maybe i should fork out 50 for tps. Sorry i have so many questions, I know you do this to make money. Im poor and rely on my truck and cant afford 70 an hr to take it antwhere. thanks. but...i thought tps would through a code. i will clean it anyway though. let u know..thank you

The TPS can act up and not throw a code. We get a lot of Fords with running problems and we get no codes. Then we have to diagnose the problem by the symptoms.
A. Penland
do you think i should just go ahead and replace it? rule it out? if it doesnt work i will open a new question so you can get paid. heck 292000 miles ive replaced almost all sensors in the last 2-3 yrs anyway.
If you have a digital meter, I can tell you have to check the sensor.
ok . well it might be tomorrow after work so can u send directions?

At the TP sensor, you will have 3 wires.

Turn the key to on and measure the voltage at the GRAY/RED striped wire with the connector still plugged into the TP sensor. It should read .9 volts. If it is higher or lower, then adjust the idle stop screw till the sensor voltage is .9 volts.

ok great. i will do that tomorrow after work. thanks
Your welcome.
A. Penland
A. Penland