Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do I set the flex plate position on an 91 F-150 4.9L

8/12/2011
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, are you replacing the flexplate or are you trying to replace the transmission? Thanks

Dieseljunky2 :

Also, is this an electronic trans (E4OD) or a regular trans, AOD. The E4OD has an overdrive cancel button, the AOD does not. Thanks

Customer:

Actually, I am replacing the engine. The transmission is a ODE

Customer:

Transmission is E4OD

Dieseljunky2 :

Take the flywheel and place it over the torque convertor. Now take a can of spray paint and make a mark on one of the studs and its mating hole in the flexplate. The flexplate will only go on the crankshaft one way. Torque the bolts to 75-85 ftlbs on the crankshaft. Now after you have installed the flexplate on the engine, make sure the paint mark is at the bottom. Turn the torque convertor until the painted stud is at the bottom as well. Make certain the torque convertor is fully seated in the trans, as it will often come out part way when the old engine is removed, To verify this, the torque convertor should have about 1/8 inch slack between the flywheel and the mounting boss around the studs. The studs are too long to turn the convertor after the engine and trans are bolted together, so the flexplate must be lined up with the studs as the engine is installed.

Customer:

The engine is out of the vehicle. The flexplate is not keyed in any way. There are a couple of slots stamped into the flexplate. I am therfore thinking that they have to line up with the crankshaft at a certain position.

Dieseljunky2 :

Look at the picture, are you referring to the holes I circled in red? These are holes used to balance the flywheel. They are not used to index or align the flexplate. When you install the flexplate on the crankshaft, when all the bolt holes are lined up, the flexplate is on correctly. This is a neutral balance flexplate, so the bolts should line up in any position.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes. Also, what is the difference between the flex plate and flywheel? I thought the flexplate was used on automatics and flywheels used on manuals. This vehicle only has a flexplate, correct?

Dieseljunky2 :

Flexplate and flywheel are not the same. Flywheels are generally considered as manuals and flexplates are generally considered for automatics. They are the same function for the manual or automatic. However, below is a picture of what is actually a flexplate. It was originally used on Chrysler products and over the years has become known as a flexplate for all automatic applications. Either term is loosely used for the same part. Here is the picture of a real flexplate. It is used in chryslers and some early Fords as the ring gear for the starter was located on the torque convertor. Thanks

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok, thanks for the info. I am accepting yor answer.

Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic