Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

Ford Explorer XLT My steering wheel is locked and I cant

My steering wheel is locked and I can't get it to release.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

greetings,

will the ignition cylinder turn with the correct keys in ? did the wrong key twist?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The wrong key did not twist. The ignition cylindar will not turn with the correct key in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

I would take some vaseline and put it on the key teeth and work it into the cylinder. As you try to turn the key turn the steering wheel. Sometimes this can free the lock pin.

let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey, I just went downstairs to try it again and there is apparently about 1 inch play in the steering wheel even after its locked up tight. I put the key in, yanked on the steering wheel again going to my left and it released the wheel enough to releaese the ignition clinder. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.
great news, glad you got it.