Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Escort ZX2 I have a 99 ford escort , its overheating..changed

Customer Question
I have a 99 ford...
I have a 99 ford escort , it's overheating..changed thermostat, radiator fan doesn't kick on what to do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2011
Ford Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic

Lets start by checking for power on both sides of the fuse below in the fuse box under the hood. If it doesnt. replace it. Ifgraphic it does, let me know..
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
checked fuse box, radiator fan not coming on
Thanks,

Do you have a jumper wire you can run from the positive battery post to the green and yellow wire on the fan to see if it even works?

need more information, the radiator fan not working or coming on, need to replace fan motor, it becomes process of elimination, to nail down cause ,what else should i look for ? hoses look good, it feems it's just not pumping coolant to keep it from getting hot

The fan did not come on when you ran that jumper wire?
no
Thanks,

Replace it.

The fan motor, blade and shroud assembly are not serviced separately.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the two push pins and the main wiring harness from the fan shroud.

3. Unplug the main wiring harness connector and move the harness to one side.

4. Unfasten the shroud bolts and remove the assembly from the engine compartment.

To install:

1. Place the fan assembly in the engine compartment and tighten the retaining bolts to 24-48 inch lbs. (3-5.5 Nm).

2. Attach the main wiring harness connector. Attach the main wiring harness and the two push pins to the fan shroud.

3. Connect the negative battery cable.

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic