snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

98 F150: ABS light..it out of park and no brake lights..disconnect

I have a '98 F150 and the ABS light is flashing 16 times, can't get it out of park and no brake lights. The dealer just said I needed whole new fuse panel box, but everything else works, so just wondering if it may be the same issue as other posts with the speed control. How do I disconnect that?
Category: Ford
Expert:  snapontech replied 6 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

Did you replace the brake switch?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

no, ford dealer checked and said it is ok

snapontech :

Interesting

snapontech :

because if you have no brake lights and cannot shift out of park brake switch is faulty

snapontech :

I would go get one and replace it

snapontech :

I think they run like 8 bucks

snapontech :

Do you have the vehicle with you

Customer:

the prob was initially intermittent, so we took fuses out and checked them, then the abs light went off and everything worked. A couple days later, same problem but now can't get it to stop flashing. i replaced the relays and fuses, even though none of them were blown.. Service department just said it was not the brake switch. I noticed someone else posted same issue and it was the speed control - I don't use it, so I thought I could just disconnect it...

Customer:

I don't have it right now, still at the service dept

snapontech :

Ok well if they followed the proper procedures this is actually one of the fixes but not sure cant tell what they have done

Customer:

is it easy to replace the brake switch?

snapontech :

Yes but if they checked the voltages then it probably is the fuse panel

snapontech :

Here is the procedures they should have done

Customer:

i can try that as well. They just quoted me $650 to replace the entire fuse panel... not sure my old truck is worth putting that into

snapontech :

Check fuse #13 15A in the interior fuse panel. Verify the fuse is present and has battery voltage on both sides. If the fuse is good, access the connectors on the back of the fuse box. Locate the LG/RD wire at pin 1 of connector C242 and check for voltage there.If voltage is not present, replace the interior fuse panel. If voltage is present, locate and repair the open circuit between the interior fuse panel and the brake on/off switch.

snapontech :

So if they did the above and got to replace the fuse panel then get one from a a salvage yard

snapontech :

You can also go to www.car-parts.com and order one from a salvage yard you will pay 1/4 of there pricing

snapontech :

The job is not that bad itself if you have mechanical experience but I know any local shop will do the job cheaper than ford

Customer:

ok, i want to try and disconnect speed control first, then replace brake switch... If it's just fuse #13a that doesn't have voltage, can I direct wire it to a fuse? It may be cheaper than replacing the panel..

snapontech :

Its not recommended on direct wiring it probably cost 100 bucks from the salvage yard

snapontech :

Just dont want the computer to get damage from changing the power

Customer:

ok, good point. Thank you! So, my initial question, can you tell me how to disconnect the speed control?

snapontech :

This is located on the top of the master cylinder

snapontech :

disconnect the electrical connector

snapontech :

Please take a moment to press ACCEPT. Thanks in advance. Have a great weekend Danny

Customer:

Thank you! I will try those... May be back on later for more advice!