Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

2005 Ford Focus: AC..only blows..air out the defrost vents

My 2005 Ford Focus AC/heating system only blows air out the defrost vents under the front window. I can't get the control knob to change where the air comes out. Is this something major, should I purchase a repair manual or can I do this myself. I was able to remove the cover plate and expose the rear of the controls where the wires plug into the control knobs.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hello, I see that you have sent me some sort of diagram that shows the selector. When I was investigating ours, I did see what looked like electrical wires in the middle and then two "cables" on either side. I was assuming that these mechanically change where the air comes out. Is that correct?

Pavlin Koev :

yes, you have mechanical cables for doors and electrical actuator for inlet door.

Pavlin Koev :

can you check if cables work and move doors?

Customer:

No, actually the car belongs to my daughter and she needed it now so I had to put things back. But I do believe, from what you provided me, that I can remove the front cover and all the wires attached and then that should give me the access I need to get at working on the cables. I believe I could then follow them and see if something is jammed or if the control switch itself is no longer grabbing the cables properly. Does this sound like a good plan?

Pavlin Koev :

yes

Customer:

OK, I guess it isn't rocket science from this point on so I'll plod ahead and she how far I get. Thanks

Pavlin Koev :

you are welcome