Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Ranger 2004 ford ranger ABS, turn signals, cruise control

Customer Question
2004 ford ranger ABS...
2004 ford ranger ABS, turn signals, cruise control blows a 10 or 15 amp fuse about once a week. ABS and Brake light comes on. Unable to locate bad wiring.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
7/14/2011
Ford Mechanic: chris, Ford Mechanic replied 6 years ago
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

Hi there

A short that happens once a week s very hard to find ,, but there is one common spot for a short to happen in this cercut ,, the cercut also powers up the over drive switch on the end of the shift lever,, the wireing for the switch runs through the shift lever and out of it and on top of the steering column ,, at the point ware it comes out of the shift lever is ware you have to check the wireing for it chafing on anything on the steering column , check about 5 inches from ware it comes out of the shift handle and out 5 inches ,, it can take a keen eye to check this thin wire ,, take your time and look at all side of the wireing comeing out of the shift lever for any chafe marks ..

graphic

you will have to remove the upper and lower steering column covers ,, to access the bottom of the shift lever ,, then also pop off the rubber boot at the end of the shift lever and start to look at the wireing comeing out of the shift lever ,, take your time,, and check it ..

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Hi Cris,

Your answer is not the problem. I have disabled the ABS to see what happens. I would like to keep you online to inform you what I may find. At that time I will release the payment.

Forrest

Forrest .

please dont take this wrong ,, but can you clarify why you think my answer is not the problem,, ??? have you checked the wireing already to the o/d switch ??? you dont have to use the o/d switch for the fuse to short out ,, there is power to the switch all the time with the key on , and the act of shifting the truck from park to drive and back makes the wireing short out for the o/d switch

Chris

Cris,

My mechanic has checked this wire but says he can't check it all the way back into the switch. I have pulled the two ABS breakers under the hood and replaced the blown breaker on the passenger side. Will drive awhile to see if the breaker will hold. If so, this should narrow down the problem to the ABS.

Forrest

OK, sounds good,,

but if it still shorts out the fuse, I would have the tech look at that wireing again , the short in the wireing can be very small and hard to see if you do not take your time and check all sides of the harness comeing out of the shift handle , this is a very common place for a short to happen and is missed by many if they dont take there time at it

good luck

Chris

chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

Hi Cris,

With the two ABS breakers pulled, the passenger fuse blew on the second day. So that should eliminate a short at least from the breaker to the ABS. I looked at the OD wiring today and could see no problem. It is a gray two wire twist in a cable. I did find a disconnect point under the dash, but could not figure out how to disconnect it due to the complexity under there.

I will check with Ford for their experience, if any.

Anyway, I appreciate your time and advice and will accept your answer.

Thanks,

Forrest

chris
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic